Moving gas meter to new porch wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi hoping someone can help. We are planning to build a porch, however the gas and electric meter is next to the front door, which means if we built the porch they would be inside of it, and also the gas service pipe will be built over, which I understand is not allowed.

I’m wondering how I go about getting these moved as the wall we would like them to go on (the front of the porch) doesn’t yet exist as it isn’t built, and I don’t know how to build this wall without temporarily building over the services?

Sponsored Links
I should also add that the metres don’t need to move to the left or right, just forward a meter or so if that makes sense, so guessing this will be easier for service suppliers to connect

When you dig the porch foundations, locate the gas service (yellow plastic), photograph it and make a note of its location relative to the new porch wall. We usually use a squirt of spray paint on the ground or on the new wall below DPC.
You will then buy and build in a new gas meter box directly above the location of the service.
In the meantime, make an appointment with your gas provider to come and move the meter. Also have a plumber come round to decide on the domestic route for the gas back onto the exiting supply from the new meter location.

On the day of the meter move, have your plumber booked in ready to do the domestic bit.

Piece of cake job.

Just to add a tiny bit of info to nose alls excellent post - if the internal gas pipe ends up longer or with more bends, you may need a bigger pipe on some of the existing sections. This is because the gas pressure drop allowed by the gas safety regs is very small (1mb)

Sponsored Links
Hi hoping someone can help. We are planning to build a porch, however the gas and electric meter is next to the front door, which means if we built the porch they would be inside of it, and also the gas service pipe will be built over, which I understand is not allowed.?
Yet plenty of people do, I've even done plenty of projects under the eye of Building Control where the inspectors have been non perturbed by it.

Stop being a pussy, it's only gas (that's a joke by the way):

Look at this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222773046454

32MM MDPE GAS PIPE ELBOWS, INC SUPPORT SLEEVES, PHILMAC 97354400, FREEPOST

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks for all the info. So when I build the foundations should I bridge over the gas service so it is still kind of free to move?

As for the new meter box, is it okay to use a recessed box if i was to do timber framed porch? Or will it have to be a surface mounted one in this case?

And anyone know if this is all the same for electric meter?

Cheers

this may be an option for the gas meter.

semi-con-gas-jpg.99924

Thanks for all the info. So when I build the foundations should I bridge over the gas service so it is still kind of free to move?
No need. Just concrete on top or around it. If you decide to back-fill, to make bricklaying easier, back fill with sand.
The guys will dig down and connect a new piece of pipe onto the existing, bring it up the hockey stick and into your new box. They may salvage the old hockey stick and should deffo re-locate the old meter.
The one thing you could do is screw the stubby conduit onto the back of the meter box (before bricking in) and build around this when setting out your internal block-work. Otherwise just let your plumber drill it through afterwards.
Just make sure all the bits that are supposed to be in the meter box are there when you buy it.

You can buy the built in boxes for about £25, don't screw them in though, the gas people will refuse it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back