Moving Gas Metre

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening people,

Due to an extension i need to have my gas metre moved, it’s a second generation smart metre. It’s going to be going into a semi concealed gas box and due to moving over 1 metre i need Northern Gas to do the works.

However i contacted bulb my energy supplier and they said Northern Gas shouldn’t move my smart metre but said they cannot fit them into semi concealed as they don’t have competent staff to do it due to been a smaller company.

My question is, surely Northern Gas are competent to move my smart metre and if so, will they do it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think a register gas engineer, with a MET1 qualification, can possibly do the work

Only the supplier can move the meter. If they don't have anyone qualified, offer to find someone and tell them you will expect them to pay your costs. Otherwise, use their complaints system and then take it to OFGEM if need be. Or just swap to another supplier who can move meters.. then swap back if you like.

Only the supplier can move the meter.
Nope, gas engineers and industry professionals who hold the relevant qualifications can do it, as long as they obtain meter asset manager (MAM) permission.

Also the GT (Gas transporter) can move the meter. Supplier is generally the seller of gas, and often don’t have engineers working for them.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Cadent happily moved my meter two weeks ago as part of works moving my gas service out of the garage, no conversations with the supplier took place

Cadent happily moved my meter two weeks ago as part of works moving my gas service out of the garage, no conversations with the supplier took place

Thanks buddy, what was the depth of the gas pipe? Northern Gas has required a minimum of 375mm into the ground but my pipe is already laid at 240mm

Cadent required the trench I dug to be 300mm wide by 450mm deep

I meant for the actual pipe, they said it should be 375mm in the ground but mine is currently laid at 240mm
If that’s what they’re asking, it’s what they’ll require.

If that’s what they’re asking, it’s what they’ll require.

how am i meant to get it another 140mm deep though? They would need to dig my drive up and relay the whole pipe?

Thanks, guess i’ll just have to wait till the site visit, it can’t really go much deeper due to footings etc…

I’ll just keep my metre inside of they refuse i guess but have an exposed yellow gas pipe running through my floor at the moment.

My gas pipe is at 450mm deep, we had a new gas service fitted as the original was twinned with next door, the original pipe was probably about 250mm deep and in my case if it hadn't been joined to next door they would have just cut it back and left it at that level as I was effectively shortening the gas pipe by moving the meter

My gas pipe is at 450mm deep, we had a new gas service fitted as the original was twinned with next door, the original pipe was probably about 250mm deep and in my case if it hadn't been joined to next door they would have just cut it back and left it at that level as I was effectively shortening the gas pipe by moving the meter

Cheers mate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back