Moving gas taps

By the way, it would be accessible, just set discreetly below floorboard level with enough space to get to it.

Sponsored Links
So I've had the second Gas Safe registered installer out. He thinks I should re-site the ventilation altogether otherwise I'll have a draught whipping round my feet. He hasn't said about whether having the tap below the floor is allowed because he's suggested chasing it into the side of the chimney breast with access via a hole in the skirting. It'll be sideways on and out of sight so that suits me.

Meanwhile I called the manufacturer about getting new coals. He reiterated that anything less than 7 kW doesn't require ventilation. He also told me that my type of fire is illegal because it has no fuel control.

The gasman today is prepared to work on the fire even without instruction but said it would need testing. But, as FiremanT pointed out, why not get a new more efficient fire. Then if I ensure it's less than 7 kW I won't have the hassle of another hole being knocked into my living room.

However I've read conflicting things, some say ALL DFE's need 100cm2 of ventilation, others say the manufacturer instructions take precedent. Can someone point me to the definitive regulation? Thanks.

Last edited:
You mentioned 2 fires. Are these on the same room, and are these 2 rooms knocked onto one? Thos affect the ventilation requirements

100 cm required unless MI's say otherwise. A DGF that does not need a vent often has a model number with "NV" in it. Your manufacturer is wrong in saying that ANY DGF under 7Kw does not need a vent, but he may be referring to hos own range.

What do you mean by "fuel control"

Who is the maker, and do they have the coals. Did you get a price?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

Just the one fire now. The second (6.2 kW) one in a different room was never used so I decided to get it disconnected. Gas fitter did that this morning.

So I'm left with one in the living room (open plan, 35 sq m, opens on to street). No other gas appliances in the house other than the boiler in the bathroom.

By fuel control I meant pilot light/ ability to turn gas up/down. (My existing one is lit by opening gas tap and an ignition wand at arms length - whoosh!).

The firm I'm looking at makes bespoke DFEs from a supplied template of the grate. www.expertfireplaces.co.uk. Cost is £270. They supply everything with the fire but they don't supply parts separately.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back