moving house...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just preparing to move house etc notifying utility companies of the date taking meter readings etc council tax people,water company etc,arrange mail redirect,sky housemove,bt,bank etc etc as well as boxing my gear up...anyone else think of owt else i may need to do that may have slipped my mind or simply havent thought of cheers :)

Sponsored Links
Tea/sugar/milk/mugs and can opener near the top of the box.

(failing that the address of the nearest pizza parlour and off licence). :LOL:

And don't forget the cat/dog on the day of the move.

Sponsored Links
Leave your new property details with your buyers as they can pass on anything that you have forgotten.

Andy

Take all the lamp fittings and bulbs, curtain rails, plants from the garden just show the new owners what you thought of their offer. But make sure you've told the Post Office about your new address otherwise you'll have to go crawling back to them. ;)

My partner has just reminded me, don't forget the door handles

Also check the attic for stuff stashed up there years ago
and forgotten about.

Don't forget your stash of Readers Wives specials, featuring the next door neighbours wife and her down the road at number twenty. Carpets and laminate flooring.. Ooh and the locks from the front and back doors. ;) ;) ;)

i always take the front door lock to put on my new house, seems pointless as they may want to change it anyway

phone. You can ask the phone co to block outgoing calls to overseas or premium rate numbers before the leaving date, or set it to incoming calls only if you want, then you can keep it going until you walk out of the door for the last time. They normally close accounts at midnight. You can unplug and take with you the phones to prevent the moving men using them.

any garden ornaments or favourite plants (take cuttings)

unbolt the safe, or at least take your money out of it

all banks and credit card companies

Car insurance

Make sure sure Home and Contents insurance covers your new home from 00:00 on the day you start to own it; and your old home up to 24:00 on the day you cease to own it. Tell the new owners who the insurers were in case there are arguments about damage or subsidence or something.

your employers; pension co; national savings if you have any; company registrars if you have any shares; inland revenue; the state pensions office; anyone who might pay you benefits; any companies where you have a product still under guarantee. TV licence. Council tax as you might get a rebate.

subscriptions to clubs, magazines etc

change of address cards to friends and realtives (or do a standard letter on the PC)

get a bank statement/cheque book and look at all the people you've paid recently to check they're all notified. A letter is more reliable than a phone call. Remember that some are paid quarterly or annually.

The post office will fail to forward some items, leave the new owners some large, stamped addressed envelopes and ask if they would be so kind as to forward anything that turns up. This will especially happen at Christmas and birthdays. Pay the Post Office for a whole year's redirection. You can also get them to hold mail for a few days if there will be a gap between moving out and moving in.

Take with you new padlocks and hasps for garden gate, shed etc (if any) and at the very least a new cylinder for the front door

If you have a particularly expensive door lock, or suited keys like me, or have had lots of spare keys made to suit, take them off and put a standard one on. Make sure you leave the new occupiers all the keys to back door, windows, shed, gate, patio doors etc (they're no use to you any more). Also leave them labelled cans of paint in the shed for touching up or repainting. If you are fond of gardening you can leave them a chart showing what's where.

Take with you your DIY tools; toilet roll; soap and towels; teapot; kettle;
toaster; uht milk; sugar; torch; light bulbs etc where you can get them all out without having to unpack everything else. Also vacuum cleaner bin bags and household cleaners as some people are pigs.

Don't be like a friend of mine.

He couldn't be ar$ed to remove an old night-storage heater from his garge that the previous owner had left there. He left it there for his buyer.

Over the next few weeks after moving, my friend's buyer would visit him at his new house, complaining that he had left the heater in her garage.

However, when it dawned on her that she had lunatic neighbours from hell living in the flat above, the heater problem paled into insignificance.

And don't forget the cat/dog on the day of the move.

And if your pet has an identichip so that you can be contacted in the event of him going missing and being found, don't forget to give your new address and phone number to the scheme immediately.

If you havent already pay for a FULL PACK and UNPACK removal service

costs more but well worth it

Has Dentist, Doctors, schools, TV License been mentioned.
Oh and try not to tell your missus or anyone you owe money to ;)
The tax office will want to know where you are, but that could also come under the owe money rule!

Sponsored Links
Back