Moving oil tank. What height does it need to be?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to move our oil tank about 2 meters in behind our garage in order to make more room in the garden. See photo. I wasn't planning on rebuilding the base in the same way it is now i.e. with brick, I was planning on simply digging out a foundation and filling it with hardcore stone and covering with slabs and then setting the oil tank on this.

My question is, does the oil tank need to be a certain height? Note that it will be at a slightly higher level than the burner anyway, but will this be enough? I've read that most new systems don't have a height requirement for the oil tank, is that correct? Ours was installed 3 years ago. Here's a photo of our burner.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Height is usually an issue but if the burner is nearly the same level than it will pull oil from the tank but will need a pump or vacuum device to prime it in the first place. I used to use an outboard engine squeezy bulb to pull the oil to the burner.

Alternatively you can use a device called a 'Tigerloop' which will allow the tank to be below the burner.

Incidentally there are regulations about where you can site a tank and your current tank doesn't meet them!

If you move it you must be clear of the wooden fence as it, the fence, presents a fire risk to the tank, clear of openings in adjacent buildings and clear of adjacent drains and water courses, ditches, etc for pollution prevention unless double skinned/bunded.

Have a look at the 'OFTEC' website. It has guidance and leaflets about tank bases, location, etc.

Alternatively find an OFTEC registerd tank installer in your area. He will know all the regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back