moving old sockets

it is possible to re-use old cables, but they have to be inspected and tested, and it is a lot less trouble to rewire completely in new (the colours have recently changed too). And the cable is not a major expense.

Another advantage of this approach is that you can continue living in the house and using the old circuits, until after the new installation is complete.

I am sure the new installation will look a lot tidier than the old one.

You are lucky to have plenty of room under the floor.

Sponsored Links
I had an NICEIC electrician in today who looked at the board and socket for about 2 seconds and told me a rewire was required as he wouldnt want to extend the cables for the new sockets (this was before the floorboards were up and revealed the slack on the cables). is it legal for me to run the cables from where they are to the new positions if the same cables are used and reinstalled the same way ? and then get a pro in to fit a new cu ? in terms of lighting, all i want to do is install new fittings so nothing major there. it is written inside the box that there is 2 lighting circuits, 2 socket circuits, a cooker circuit and there is a seperate shower mcb. these seem to tie in with and upstairs downstairs arrangement. Im having a new kitchen fitted next week and i have asked for a kitchen stand alone circuit back to the box. i forgot to check the old cable sizes when i was there today, can you tell from the picture if the wire is the 2.5 type ?

is it legal for me to run the cables from where they are to the new positions if the same cables are used and reinstalled the same way?

yes

but I would fit new double sockets if I were you.

test for ring continuity on all conductors.

I expect your old cable is 2.5, but buy a sample cut length and compare it.

Were does that cable go that comes out of the cutout and doesn't go to the meter?

Sponsored Links
BAS, it's a split con fed from a different service fuse to the OP's installation, so I'd say it more than likely goes to feed next doors installation.

@OP, those cables look to me like 7/.029 cables, so they will have an undersized CPC.

I'm inclined to agree with the comments of your electrician.

As you've just moved in, there is no better time to have the place rewired.

I wouldn't even consider reusing those existing cables to redo the living room sockets to how you want them.

Your installation also appears to be lacking any main equipotential bonding which needs to be installed at the same time as you do any work.

Your new sockets should really be protected by RCD too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back