Moving pipework inside stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at replacing my toilet, the current toilet is a tradiational 70s one with a cistern on the wall which has an inlet on the right and an overflow on the left. The toilet then sits on the floor.

I am looking at replacing it with a more compact version where the cistern / bowl. Something similar in design to this

bathrooms_eb_temptation_wc_180.jpg

A lot of these new designs have the inlet on the cistern under it (so it can all be consealed). Whats the easest way to reroute the pipework to the new inlet. Am I right in thinking the easiest and only way is to rip off the plasterboard, move the pipework and then reboard and plaster?
Obviously you could just move the pipe externally but that would be very ugly.

Sponsored Links
floorboards or concrete floor? if floorboards, can you lift one directly beneath where the pipe comes out of the wall and see if's present under the floor?

if so it may be easier to join on to it there rather than rip up your studwork

This is an intersting one - the toilet room is rather small and the floorboards run under the wall studs. I can (and have) taken up section of floorboards using a circular saw but how do you take up the board which does under the stud?

Sponsored Links
The bearer for the plasterboard wall will be running along quite a number of boards, if you take out one the house won't fall down, neither will the wall. With a certain amount of good building and luck, the wall will be over a double joist. So if you cut the board flush with the wall (you may need a padsaw) you can screw a batten to this joist for your board to stand on when you've finished.

Try not to saw through very many pipes and cables.

I don't understand. Is there a false wall covering up the existing supply pipe? If so, does the pipe go up or down (or sideways, even)? I think if you knew, you'd probably have your answer. If you cut your floorboard where it's not supported, you'll have more work than you wanted to sort it out afterwards. My friendly local builder kindly did this for me when putting in a bit of drainage. The floorboards wound up in lots of small lengths, that twisted, squeaked, tripping hazard etc. cost me £400 odd in materials to sort it out, with new flooring throughout the room. Thanks, pal!

I have not got a problem with removing the floorboards below the wall - as you say its not going to be all sitting on 1/2 floorboards but its a case of how to remove it, you can't just pull it out as its nailed to the joist in the next room (under a boiler so I cant remove them)

Rob_Quads said:
I have not got a problem with removing the floorboards below the wall - as you say its not going to be all sitting on 1/2 floorboards but its a case of how to remove it, you can't just pull it out as its nailed to the joist in the next room (under a boiler so I cant remove them)

You make both the cuts inside the room and lift out the cut section.

JohnD_ said:
Rob_Quads said:

You make both the cuts inside the room and lift out the cut section.

How would that provide access to the pipework under the stud wall as you are always going to cut on a beam meaning there is some floorboard between the gap and the stud.

Pretty sure the pipework comes from the cupboard behind rather than running under the floor to the stud wall thus providing access by pulling it up.

As far as I can see the only solution is remote the exising toilet, remove the plasterboard behind, move the pipe further down and inward, replasterboard, replaster & then put the new toilet in.

Hmm sounds like a bit much for a day/weekend. Maybe just using a hidden cistern where i don't need to move the water inlet is the easiest solution

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back