Moving Sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks,
Im going to move a couple of sockets , as part of renovating my kitchen . Currently , Im the walls are down to bare brick , and Ill be getting it re-plastered in 3-4 weeks time .
Just wondering , if I move the sockets now , and mount them on the brickwork - will they still be safe to use , with the bare metal box`s showing , or do I need to cover or insulate the bare metal .

Thanks , Colin .

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply -

is it the bare metal thats unsafe . Not sure what you mean by the cables getting damaged - how do see this happening - I`m always careful and they`ll be fully protected :confused:

Safety is my first priority , as always but is it really neccesary to buy a surface mounted box that i`ll throw away later ? If you reckon its the only option I`ll do it though . :)

Sponsored Links
Just out of curiosity Holmslaw, how far into the wall do you put your back boxes? whats the depth from the finished plaster to the outside of your backbox?
I am just wondering as i have always placed the front edge of my back boxes flush with the plaster work meaning the socket front would be as close to the back box on a plastered wall as it would be if was fixing the box and socket to bare brick.
Never caused me any issues.

Not trying to be funny or cause arguments just wondered what your thoughts were?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back