Moving the downstairs cloakroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am moving the downstairs cloakroom to make better use of space, it means adding two metres of foul waste pipe to reach..... need i bother telling building control? what is there now does not conform anyway.... dodgy diy loo install by looks of it.

Plenty of pics and drawings to cover myself and worry about it if they ask questions later? I doubt they ever would.

Sponsored Links
If you’re constructing a new room containing a w/c or reforming an old one then it is controlled building work, subject to several Building Regulations & possible inspection. You can go up to 6m for an unvented w/c but there are other regulations you need to consider & no compliance certificate when you come to sell may give you problems, as indeed what you currently have might. Your unlikely to get any problems with Building Control, how will they know if you don’t tell them & if they do find out you can always apply for regularisation but you may have to undertake considerable extra work & cost to get it. More importantly, you will be asked to produce Building Works compliance documentation by your buyers solicitor when you come to sell & that’s when the problems start. Things have changed a lot in recent years & what would once have been ignored is now proving to be a thorn in many a sellers side when the appropriate documentation cannot be produced, not least paving the way for hefty discounts to cover the cost or remedial building works. The fact that what is currently there doesn’t comply is irrelevant to what your doing now & I would advise you take the opportunity to bring your revamped loo into line with current Building Regs.

The build control inspector said in a round about way do it, do it to building regs and if its ever brought up get a remedial done as its only £20 more.

Sponsored Links
The build control inspector said in a round about way do it, do it to building regs and if its ever brought up get a remedial done as its only £20 more.
I’m a little surprised by that response but the BI you spoke to may not be the same one who comes around your house to do the regularisation inspection you request; perhaps he's being made redundant & doesn't really care! Make sure you know what the Building Regs are & if any stud walls are involved adjacent to a habitable room, make sure you keep the receipt for the special or double skinned plaster board you used & take photographs of the internal sound insulation you installed otherwise I’d be interested to know how he’s going to tell if you built it to the correct standard. Perhaps they are more laid back in Northampton ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back