Moving the main fuse / meter

Unless theres a specfic reason like its infront of the only decent window, and she understands the costs involved, I would instigate talk to the tune of 'how abot it moved 2ft to the right and we have a week in paris instead!

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Unless theres a specfic reason like its infront of the only decent window, and she understands the costs involved, I would instigate talk to the tune of 'how abot it moved 2ft to the right and we have a week in paris instead!
Indeed. As I wrote:
It sounds as if some flowers/chocolates/holiday might be the best way forward - it would presumably require only a slight movement of the sink for the cutout/meter to be in a probably acceptable place (e.g. a cupboard) :)

Kind Regards, John

So if it's an internal policy, would it be reasonable for them to pay for this?
They have misled you about the law, and there may be alternatives which reduce the cost which they have not yet considered, quite possibly because an engineer has not yet been involved.

But never forget in your coming dealings with them that it is their cable, and their rules, and the latter are not subject to negotiation. As far as they are concerned you are always free to not have it moved.

6 years ago a builder accidentally cut through the supply cable to my cutout. The DNO came along and instead of replacing it, installed a short new section between two underground joint kits . I asked them to replace the entire length because:

1. It wasn't buried deep enough when the property was built. (only 10" down)
2. The cable was almost 50 years old.
3. The joins would be underneath the concrete slab of a new extension.

They offered to do this, but at my cost, so I declined. (The builder paid for the repair, although he was miffed he had to pay as the cable was wrongly positioned in the first place. Not only was it close to the surface it ran well past the cut out and then doubled back to it)

Anyway my point is if it's the law to replace it....they failed to comply.

Sponsored Links
This is the kind of a job that suits an ex-DNO worker who has the tools, knowledge and experience, and will do the job on the quiet at a very cheap price...

This does happen a lot.

If the cable is ancient, and the DNO supply the earth, it may have a poor Ze so they would have to repair or replace it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back