Moving to france

once part P comes in and you have had a sparky in there will be a record

this would seriously put me off using one as if i never have one in who can they prove what was done before part P came into effect

Sponsored Links
Date codes on wiring accessories?

New cable colours?

The wiring is in an extension which has other documentation to prove its date?

The local Neighbourhood Watch curtain twitcher sees you carrying in a reel of T/E and shops you?

Date codes on wiring accessories?
possible but i think it's unlikly anyone would ever check theese

New cable colours?
it's ok to use theese already and part P is not in effect yet

The wiring is in an extension which has other documentation to prove its date?
true if you have an extention built

The local Neighbourhood Watch curtain twitcher sees you carrying in a reel of T/E and shops you?
how do they know if it's for a minor work you are allowed to do or a major work you are not

plugwash said:
once part P comes in and you have had a sparky in there will be a record

this would seriously put me off using one as if i never have one in who can they prove what was done before part P came into effect

As it is starting to look increasingly likely that Local Authorities will get no more money to implement part P next year, I have this feeling that the only compliance will be from the contractors that bother to register with a "competent person" scheme.

I have been trying to get more information out of the ODPM for a couple of weeks to no avail, to the point where I have got so frustrated I emailed one of the MP's listed as on the ODPM Ministerial Team..Yes I know I won't get a response!!

For me, it is starting to become increasingly clear that Part P is a smoke and mirrors charade by the ODPM. This has been forced on them by parts of the industry and the DTI, they have no love for it and are probably hoping if they ignore it everyone will forget it.

It'll be yet another example of way too little way too late, then ignored by all.

Sponsored Links
Tony6

Bet you got a little more than you bargained for !!

Said before, just like being down the pub .. and why not ?

Firey Forums !! Full of character(s).

P

FWL_Engineer said:
As it is starting to look increasingly likely that Local Authorities will get no more money to implement part P next year, I have this feeling that the only compliance will be from the contractors that bother to register with a "competent person" scheme.
For me, it is starting to become increasingly clear that Part P is a smoke and mirrors charade by the ODPM. This has been forced on them by parts of the industry and the DTI, they have no love for it and are probably hoping if they ignore it everyone will forget it..
I'm semi tempted to invent an installation project that would (a) need notifying under Part P and (b) not matter if it never came to fruition, and on Jan 2nd tell my local Building Control dept what I plan to do and ask them what they would like to do vis-a-vis inspection and testing.

AdamW said:
Good idea on the kettle lead style 4-way adaptor. You could even use that in a 120V country with some equipment. Most PC/laptop power supplies and I think mobile phone chargers are auto-switch voltage.
Now upgraded with an inline plug-in RCD. Can't trust these filthy foreign electrics....

Electrics don't kill people, electricians kill people. ;)

But seriously, all these funny european systems we see on holiday, would they be safe if they were all installed properly and maintained sufficiently? Surely their equivalents of the IEE didn't just say "yes, we will have a regulation requiring that all electrics must be f**king dodgy!"?

What I mean is, are their electricians to blame for making electrics out of bits of barbed wire and twigs, or do they just have very bad (or non-existant) regs?

I always feel a bit apprehensive when I plug in anything expensive abroad. Especially French phone sockets, they are bigger than the phone they connect to! Amazing how we have teensy phone connectors, and pretty substantial mains plugs. But our French friends have teensy little shaver-style mains plugs and phone connectors are made of breezeblocks. The irony is not lost on me. :D

only just joined this forum and have just comleted a rewire in france and been through the testing process with edf so if youv any questions shoot

Hi rooski

Im about to take on the rewire of my parents house in france.

Im going there for 2weeks from the 26/5/04 to do some building work
What im looking for is a design plan to follow,

What are the cable sizes for different circuits
What type of protective sheafing is needed for the different cables
Is the lighting wiring circuit the same as uk
Are the main radial circuits for each individual sockets

I understand you can have many different kw supplied to your house in france ie 6kw,9kw,etc

From the main edf box set in the garge i would like to run a new main to the house what size does the cable need to be???

Thanks a million

Could you draw up a plan if i was to give you more information on the requirements for a fee!

Tony

Can't answer any of the above questions, but if you can specify the capacity of your supply, I'd advise you to think in terms of 25 or 30kW, not 6 or 9...

ban-all-sheds said:
I'd advise you to think in terms of 25 or 30kW, not 6 or 9...

That'll cost you un bras et une jambe!

In many European countries you pay a monthly charge per kW of subscribed demand. You say what demand you want and they set a 'disjoncteur' which will switch off like a MCB if you exceed the subscribed demand.

Well, maybe so.

And maybe French electricity works more efficiently than ours, and you can run an entire house on 25 - 40A. On the other hand....

I think our "pay as you go" system (i.e. metered) is a much better idea. Why pay for e.g a 22kW system when you only use big amounts of electricity for short periods in the day, and sometimes not even every day. You would feel the need to use as much electricity as possible to get your money's worth!

Perhaps their system stems from the fact that the majority of their electricity is nuclear? Nah, can't see how that would work. Hope they build the ITER there though.

Sponsored Links
Back