Moving to Linux

Moving to Linux .... Nah, thought about moving to Weymouth once tho' ;)

Sponsored Links
Yes Breezer, as it happens I still have an Atari games console. Think its in the loft, wasnt worth anything to sell and I have a huge dislike of throwing anything that works away.

You never know it might be worth something by the time my grandchildren have kids.

My but it has been fun following all this, but I still say nostalgia aint what it used to be.

Unfortunately for all of us I think that some things just go the way of who ever has most to spend on advertising, like Philips video 2000 video recorder.

As for superior tech, if I remember it correctly, I was using a spreadsheet on my amiga that was as good as Excel before Excel anyway so na na na nana. The biggest surprise was that when I did swap to a pc I already knew how to work Mr Gates spreadsheets. And sorry to all those who were reminding me (the memory you know, when you get to my age its the first thing to go), it was called workbench. Strange how you forget the little things.

Excel .... Goal seeking, VBA, Solver, graphing, plethora of functions ... There at the touch of a button or two etc, etc .... There hasn't really been better you know. ... ;)

Started off with a ZX80 in kit form then a ZX81, followed by a Commodore Plus 4 then the best computer i'd owned by far, an Amiga 500
others that come to mind the Oric, Amigas rival, the Atari ST

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
1) Who here uses Linux?
2) What antivirus software do you use, do you recommend it?
3) What firewall do you use, do you recommend that too?

Err, yes, I use Linux and have done for the past 5 years. (I now rarely need Microsoft.)
I use Debian Linux at home (Debian stable doesn't have the latest software but it
is very stable and easy to install and update packages.) I also use Debian Linux for my main desktop PC at work for the same reasons.

For C++ development we use RedHat/Fedora Linux as that is more up to
date etc. Both distributions are very nice. In the past I have tried out Suse Linux
which is fine but is very much into KDE (I prefer the Gnome desktop.)

I use no antivirus software as I don't seem to need it (and I am very careful as to
what I do when logged in as root!)

Firewall. My Draytek ADSL router has one built-in which has worked fine for
over 1 year now. :)

Oh, and my history is ZX Spectrum (was great!), Apple IIe laptop thingy (again, great), Intel 386 and then 486 laptop, then a Pentium PC etc etc... ;)

My 2 cent's worth.

I use AIX, but that's my problem!!

Well, ok, at work I do, but I couldn't afford it at home.

Back