Moving toilet waste

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully not a big problem but I need to move my toilet waste back about 6 inches or so.

It is so far from the wall at the moment that the toilet is half into the room and looks odd. The pipe is iron and comes up between the floor joists.

I assume I will need to cut the iron pipe and put a new connector on it. What sort of connector do I need for this and what do I seal it to the existing pipe with?

Sponsored Links
If it was only a couple of inches you would normally use a swan neck connector but 6" is a long way so its time to replace some cast iron. Access from below may be your biggest problem and you need to make sure you know the size of the cast iron.

Connectors for cast iron are not a problem. However you also need to decide if you are going to connect to the pipe by cutting it or by removing the pipe from the next socket along.

I would suggest you find out what size the pipe is and where you can access it. Then draw a dimensioned sketch of what you find and post it here for further advice. - Once you have converted to PVC there will be loads of fittings available to make the change you need - providing you have the space and length to get them in.

Common sizes for cast iron are 4" and 3 1/2" with the 4" possible in a couple of size variations. - If you are lucky the size will be embossed on one of the pipe sockets

If you can get back to a 4" CI socket you can use one of these to fit a 110 PVC pipe into the socket. OsmaS Rubber 4" CI Socket Conn'r BK 110 Search for 4S206B for suppliers

I have taken a few floorboards up today to get a look at what I am dealing with. Sadly I can't see what size the pipe is because the sockets are covered in something, but I would estimate at 4".

The pipe drops down below the floor for about 1ft before going into another socket, below which the whole lot is concreted in.

If I pull the pipe apart at the lower socket (whats the best way to do this?) is there a connector I can use here to move the pipe back by 6" or so?

I have attached a highly artistic drawing to give a rough idea of what I mean.

For pipes nearer the horizontal I would use the rubber connector I linked to. For a vertical you can use one of the more easy to obtain ones with the fins on, but they take up what I think will be valuable vertical space.

So its time to measure very carefully to see what can be achieved.

first of all you need to measure exactly what offset you need. That means if the wall is going to get tiled or something you need to allow for the tiles and adhesive.

Next is to find the bends that will do the job. If you can post the dimensions from the top of the lower CI collar to the floor level and then the offset (Centre to centre) I may be able to give you the exact fittings to get.

The old cast iron pipe will come out of the collar but it can take time depending on how sound the joint is.
Basically you have to dig out the old joint material. It may be topped off with a sand and cement fillet but that should not be too deep. After that the materials used are much softer. An old flat screwdriver is often handy for the job. Once you get the pipe loose it can usually be pulled out. Then stuff an old sack or something into the pipe to block it from falling debris and continue to clear out the old joint material.

Measure the outside diameter of the CI pipe once it is out and post the size.

The following will should fit a 4" cast iron socket without any narrowing of the pipe connection Universal-Pipe-Connector

This type will fit into the pipe below the CI socket and the fitting itself should also fit inside the Cast iron collar drain connector but the fitting does cause a small restriction on the pipe diameter. It may be the one to use if the vertical height is a problem

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help.

The centre of the pipe is currently 33cm from the wall, we have decided to put a vanity unit behind the toilet so until it arrives I'm not quite sure how far back it needs to go.

Once it arrives I will be back with better measurements.

I think I have had some good luck (although I am going to claim design).

I have had the vanity unit delivered and it is 30cm deep. The toilet is a back to wall type with the waste connector being 10cm back from the back of the toilet. The combined distance from the wall of the porcelain connector at the back of the toilet is 40cm.

The centre of the existing pipe is 33cm from the wall.

What do I need to buy to join this up - I am assuming I don't now need to move the waste in the floor?

I think I have had some good luck (although I am going to claim design).

I have had the vanity unit delivered and it is 30cm deep. The toilet is a back to wall type with the waste connector being 10cm back from the back of the toilet. The combined distance from the wall of the porcelain connector at the back of the toilet is 40cm.

The centre of the existing pipe is 33cm from the wall.

What do I need to buy to join this up - I am assuming I don't now need to move the waste in the floor?

See my sketch of your dimensions, the vanity unit is over the drain connection. Can you correct or explain? As it won't work with what you are telling me so far

Yes the front of the vanity unit sits above the floor drain, I had planned to cut a notch out of this for the pipework as it will be hidden by the toilet.

Yes the front of the vanity unit sits above the floor drain, I had planned to cut a notch out of this for the pipework as it will be hidden by the toilet.

That will be a huge "notch".
A macfit-wc-connector might fit but I'm not sure how far onto the pan the connector will get. You need to search for similar

Got to be easier than pulling the pipe apart tho?

Got to be easier than pulling the pipe apart tho?

Very true! btw the part I linked to is a McAlpine MAC-8L none of the other connectors they do seemed suitable. The awkward bit is the distance from the pan outlet end to the centre of the drain - 70mm. The seal inside the connector has to overlap the pan outlet. I like McAlpine stuff because I find the quality good and the tech drawings very useful. The connector would I am sure work with a dimension of 60mm so you can see, yours is boarder line for that connector.

Edit check your measurements carefully as out of plumb walls can make things easier or worse!

Would the flexible connector they do be any good? The diyer in me sees flexible and thinks that means it doesn't have to be exact.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back