Moving water supply for bathroom sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a sink in a washstand. It has a drawer below. My current hot and cold water supply comes from the floor. Is it difficult to change the supplies to come out of the wall instead? Also, it is an outside wall, so would I have a problem with the pipes freezing? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Copper? Use sweat joints and keep to minimum, wrap with insulating tape, use saddle clips to minimise depth of chase (building regs specify depth of inner course of bricks which can be chased, and I;ve momentarily forgotten it, but you are just OK with 15mm pipe, and in localised areas you can go deeper like when sinking shower mechanisms into wall). Not usual to lag pipes, and due to depth restrictions you'd have to use thin walled lagging, but it wouldn't harm. Never bury a compression joint, personally I wouldn't bury a pushfit joint but you may have no choice if that's all you can do, if so don't use any types which demount on bressing on a ring unless they are lockable.

rotghi said:
, so would I have a problem with the pipes freezing? Thanks.
If you`re in Alaska.......... UK building regs = US :?: regs I think not. Sorry. :oops:

Thanks for your replies. I thought I was pretty good at plumbing, but I guess I'm not. The replies were a little over my head. Could you explain it to me assuming I know nothing? Thanks![/list]

Sponsored Links
I spent a small part of a vacation in Alaska working round underground pipes which had frozen and split. Things are different for you guys - you might be better finding a US based site!

Would it not be possible to shorten the length of the drawer provide enough room for the pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back