MPs' pay rise?

S

Sombrero

What's that all about? their pay is goiing up? by how much? and they're the one's making all these fookin cuts? because of their, or my mistakes in managing this country?

And my pay ain't going up this year..... ffs!

I'm sick of this fookin country...

Sponsored Links
Fifty years ago they earned more than a GP - now they earn about half what a GP earns. They are underpaid - or GPs are overpaid.

Fifty years ago they earned more than a GP - now they earn about half what a GP earns. They are underpaid - or GPs are overpaid.

Joe, you just make up your own context... point is, everything is being cut.... yet politicians who are doing the cutting, forget to cut their own pay !

Well cut the GP and fat cat pay then. No public official should earn more than an MP. The head of the average Council earns around £200k - that's nearly three times what an MP earns. Pay them well and make them stick to one job.

Sponsored Links
MP's pay seems to have been lagging behind and is being brought into line with equivalent/similar positions.

Despite my disdain for politics and politicians, being an MP is not a job i would wish upon anyone. If i was an MP earning solely what the government currently paid me i would tell them to stick the job.

If i was an MP earning solely what the government currently paid me i would tell them to stick the job.
Funny how the justification for all the pay freezes and cuts for others is often that there are plenty more who would love a job...

But personally I'd pay them £100k on the proviso that:
It is performance related, based on attendance...
No more long holidays - 6 week max...
No expenses or subsided booze/meals...
No outside work/'directorships'/'consultancies' allowed...
No access to parliament for 5 years after leaving, or no working for any company/lobbying group they have dealt with whilst in office...

So a reasonable wage, but cut out the trough...

We'd soon see who is really in it for the money!

If i was an MP earning solely what the government currently paid me i would tell them to stick the job.

Good.

There are plenty of people who would happily work for 60k + expenses.

There are people that will work for a few ££'s dosnt mean they can do the job.
What is the job.
I think the job spec is certainly worth 70K ish. You can only relate the pay to other jobs, unlike doctors they do not require any qualifications.
The boundaries should be changed & then have fewer of them.

Funny how the justification for all the pay freezes and cuts for others is often that there are plenty more who would love a job...

No access to parliament for 5 years after leaving, or no working for any company/lobbying group they have dealt with whilst in office...

Sounds good to me. I agree with you (for once). :mrgreen:

In Joe's defence, doctors get very well paid in this country. It isn't so much that MP's are over paid, in fact I don't mind them getting twice as much.

But, for that kind of salary, I expect honesty, integrity and good policies for us - the electorate!

Attendance in parliment?

Leading onto.....

Because when they are not in parliament, they must be sitting on a beach sipping drinks, it's not like they have any constituency work is it?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2013/apr/23/who-works-most-teachers-or-mps

So they have to pay for their own work related travel?

Because clearly what we need are more talentless academics with no real world experience.

A sensible suggestion, good to see you are not a total numbnuts.

How about on top of that, you cannot be an MP until you have at least 15 yrs working experience background, this way they would have a better understanding in the real world

noseall wrote

being an MP is not a job i would wish upon anyone.

That's only because you're honest.
Its no big deal wishing it upon gifted liars. £66,000 is far too much to give them imo.

How about on top of that, you cannot be an MP until you have at least 15 yrs working experience background, this way they would have a better understanding in the real world
The problem with that is how do you define 'work experience' and 'real world'?

15 years in banking investment kind of detaches you from the majority, but then 15 years in toscos could work the other way around...

The selection process should sort out who has a bit of knowledge and common sense, but it then comes up against the major obstacle - Party Politics!

My addition would be that there were no party affiliations, and concensus agreed on by individuals with input from the general population...

Very difficult in bygone era's, but nowadays perfectly possible - hence why the lib/lab/con are becoming one and the same in order to stifle any moves towards a true democracy!

Sponsored Links
Back