MPs should be able to travel first class because....?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Because according to one of 'Dave's' boys, passengers in standard class are 'a totally different type of people'. :eek: It really is becoming terribly inconvenient for MPs to represent us isn't it? I mean fancy having to do work for the likes of us! Perhaps they could have that requirement removed from their HUGE list of tasks? :rolleyes:

Asked whether he thought standard-class passengers behaved differently from those with first class tickets, Sir Nicholas replied: 'Yes, I do. They are a totally different type of people. They have a different outlook on life. I very much doubt whether they are undertaking serious work and study, reading reports and amending reports which MPs do when they are travelling.'

He added: 'I have represented the people of Macclesfield for nearly 40 years and I am in touch with my constituents. 'Whether or not some of them agree with me on this is irrelevant - the matter of fact is that I think it is valuable that MPs should have privacy and be able to work when they are on a train between their constituency and London.'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nomy-travel-rule.html?ITO=1708&referrer=yahoo

Sponsored Links
Should bring back the livestock rolling stock for them then. Then they can get their snouts in the troughs there too. ;)

After all, we don't want "their sort" mixing with us.

i can see no problem when they have to work during the journey
but going farther than that if they have spare time on a journey and its not a security issue they should pass through the second class and make them selves known "I AM AN MP CAN I HELP ANYONE" this way they can meet some real people with real problems :D :D

i can see no problem when they have to work during the journey
but going farther than that if they have spare time on a journey and its not a security issue they should pass through the second class and make them selves known "I AM AN MP CAN I HELP ANYONE" this way they can meet some real people with real problems :D :D
Could I remind you that their fare will be paid for by the public. Are you really happy for them to claim first class at our expense?

Sponsored Links
Considering they earn about half what a lawyer, dentist or GP earns why not?

I think the 'argument' is going a little off track. It's not the fact that he wants first class that really annoys me it's the fact that he obviously believes he's superior to the rest of us! Condescending git!

I agree with him. I upgrade to first given half the chance. Can't stick regional accents.

I have worked whilst on the move and it is difficult to concentrate.

I would have no problem with an m.p. using first class carriage should he need to do important work during his travel period.

There a few posters on this forum who know what it is like to prepare and deliver an important speech in front of a baying and very large audience.

I agree with him. I upgrade to first given half the chance. Can't stick regional accents.
Yeah but that's YOU paying for that Joe. It's got nowt to do with me.

Anyway, I still think he's a stuck up git.

Why not travel first class?

They are first class everything else;

1st class thieves,
1st class liars,
1st class fraudsters,
1st class con artists,
1st class - you name it...

You sound a little bitter! some of us like to travel first class because we don't like the atmosphere which is a bit common.Just because you don't like to fork out for quality why be bitter to those that choose to?

You sound a little bitter! some of us like to travel first class because we don't like the atmosphere which is a bit common.Just because you don't like to fork out for quality why be bitter to those that choose to?
Because I'm a Tax Payer and as such I am paying for said MP to travel First Class.

MPs run our country - so why shouldn't that office be worthy of first class?

As I said earlier Joe (but I keep drifting back to the 'cost'), it's his arrogance and attitude towards 'us' that really annoys me. I refer you to the OP...

passengers in standard class are 'a totally different type of people'. Asked whether he thought standard-class passengers behaved differently from those with first class tickets, Sir Nicholas replied: 'Yes, I do. They are a totally different type of people. They have a different outlook on life. I very much doubt whether they are undertaking serious work and study, reading reports and amending reports which MPs do when they are travelling.'

He added: 'I have represented the people of Macclesfield for nearly 40 years and I am in touch with my constituents. 'Whether or not some of them agree with me on this is irrelevant - the matter of fact is that I think it is valuable that MPs should have privacy and be able to work when they are on a train between their constituency and London.'

Sponsored Links
Back