MPs should be able to travel first class because....?

There loads of trash in our society. Common, thick, workshy etc. Why would anyone want to sit amongst them if they had work to do?

Sponsored Links
There loads of trash in our society. Common, thick, workshy etc. Why would anyone want to sit amongst them if they had work to do?
Surely if you want to 'represent' society (with all of it's faults you list), you need to experience time with those people in all walks of life? Why would you want to be segregated from those people?

Even his boss wants nowt to do with his ridiculous comments:

A Conservative Party spokesman said: "David Cameron has made clear his support of the reforms of Parliament and MPs' expenses. These comments today are the out-of-touch views of a soon-to-retire backbench MP. They do not in any way represent the views of David Cameron or that of the Conservative Party and should be treated as such."
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20100218/tuk-mp-wants-1st-class-rail-on-expenses-6323e80.html

Little rich boy doesn't think it will sit well with voters.

i can see no problem when they have to work during the journey
but going farther than that if they have spare time on a journey and its not a security issue they should pass through the second class and make them selves known "I AM AN MP CAN I HELP ANYONE" this way they can meet some real people with real problems :D :D
Could I remind you that their fare will be paid for by the public. Are you really happy for them to claim first class at our expense?

yes if they have work and iff theres a security issue no problems at all

i will qualify my statment a little

if they already get first class then it would be desirable where possible to down grade as i already said

if they dont get first class now then no they havent earned the privilage ;)

Sponsored Links
The idiot who, in railway carriages,
Scribbles on window-panes,
We only suffer
To ride on a buffer
In Parliamentary trains.

Wotan

Anyone seen the advert for "Benefit thieves we're on to you".
Didn't know their were that many MP's........... :LOL:

If an mp has to do sensitive work on a train then he should 'work' harder in his office. Sensitive material should be done in a fixed place of work not open to prying eyes or the possibility of it being mislaid/left on the seat. If they are in a first class carriage on their own who's to say they are actually working anyway? They could be having an away day with their secretary for all anyone would know.
As Blas says, we, the taxpayers, are paying for their comfort. Imagine a motor mechanic taking an engine apart in first class because he didn't finish it in the garage!

If the snivelling **** wants to go first class, let the taxpayer buy a standard ticket and he can pay for the upgrade out of his own pocket.

If they are in a first class carriage on their own who's to say they are actually working anyway? They could be having an away day with their secretary for all anyone would know.
Really? :D

let the taxpayer buy a standard ticket and he can pay for the upgrade out of his own pocket.

So the taxpayer pays a standard fare for him and then through taxes paying his wages, pays the etra to let him go in comfort?
I thought we were already doing this. :confused:

I work in private industry, and my company's policy is this:

Short flights - coach class (not enough time to do any work or get deep-vein thrombosis)
Longer than 2 hours - business or first class (time to fire up the laptop and need to stretch legs)
Eurostar - first class if you need the extra facilities (i.e. you want a table and a plug socket), second class if you're just going to read the paper.

Usually you find you work on the way out somewhere, but relax on the way home, but it's not possible to book a return journey with different classes.

I think this is fair for MPs, as they only get the better class if they are working during the journey. However the public perception is that they do very little work and will just be relaxing with a glass of champagne. We, the paymasters, shouldn't be paying extra if we derive no benefit. :!:

I suspect more money is wasted by them buying tickets "on the day" rather than cheaper advance bookings - their diaries are usually filled up months in advance. :idea:

Sponsored Links
Back