mpulse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can somebody please help me understand what an “mpulse” from Akamai exactly does on a internet browser and how does it get in your pc or laptop

Background:
An audit has revealed that I have spent 80 hours in 2weeks of browsing time on this site c.go-mpulse.net

I don’t even know what this site is, I suspect it some kind of programme that’s runs in the background on a browser, and yes I normally don’t shut down my pc which could explain the 80hours of browsing

Tried Akamai but they are not much help at all

Sponsored Links
a snapshot of the report
Appears to show background applications
Can anyone identify on list
A31DCE92-B3EF-4595-BC34-D6A63D8956B3.jpeg

Sponsored Links
IT officer has told my manager that the c.go-mpulse site, is a web hosting site,

So now they are accusing me of running my own website, in other words doing private work in works time.
Apparently lots of it.

how i understand it Looking at Mpulse webpage its to enable companies to gain more useful metrics on visitors interaction with their website. Its not hosting Akamai is the content delivery network which delivers the content to website users.

I would be wondering how good your IT at work is the audit is obviously flawed if that is supposed to be the sites you have been browsing, googles safebrowsing has a total of about 13.5 hours given what that is

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Safe_Browsing

What I would be doing is asking IT to look at the traffic from your pc. But keep it in mind that can log all traffic. It may be a webpage you keep open that is always updating that the sites owners use mpulse on.
I would suspect they have removed some sites from the list that are necessary for the business.

If websites you use are publicly accessible then accessing them from home with wireshark running on your own pc looking at traffic from your network port may help you identify the site causing the problem. Do not run wireshark though on your employers network or computers its likely to cause more problems for you.

Last edited:
Thanks
It’s reassuring to know that this audit is flawed, and yes you’re correct, it does make one wonder about the IT officer.

I will download and try wireshark at home to see I can get traffic going to the dreaded c.go-mpulse.net

Just an update

I tested this traffic route by installing wireshark software on my laptop and I started browsing websites,

And yes a lot of data goes to c.go-mpulse.net,
Plus Loads of other data goes to others like google analytics and adobe analytics etc

All this data is sent with the user unaware of it

But boy mpulse is one hungry beast, wanting all the data every 5mins regardless of activity

Attachments

• C95A7F82-A91E-4AA0-A003-22ED69029079.png
    C95A7F82-A91E-4AA0-A003-22ED69029079.png
    436.4 KB · Views: 178
  • 1ACD544A-64C9-4F2E-A40A-D54A6C4A4892.png
    1ACD544A-64C9-4F2E-A40A-D54A6C4A4892.png
    327.5 KB · Views: 126
Your IT should have filtered these out of the audit report or at least told your manager to ignore it. The amount of time in a 2 week period alone really should have had them questioning the audit.

It seems an odd way though to report on the usage of a website anyway by time alone, with mpluse being at 80 hours that alone is typically the time worked in 2 weeks so when would you have been browsing the other sites ? in reality as you will have seen with wireshark the actual time spent communicating with mpulse is going to be significantly less than that as the bulk of the time is spent communicating with the site you are on but even then with a website like this one it will load the page then load the next page when you click a link so unless the audit is running on your pc how does it know if you have just spent time reading that page or working in something else.

Good luck speaking to your manager about this it seems that whoever did the audit needs some grief over its accuracy and usefulness as well as the IT Officer for giving your manager duff info. However long term unless you are working in a job where these audits are necessary then i would be thinking of looking for a better employer unless of course the job is otherwise good. Perhaps i have been lucky but in 20 years of doing onsite hands on IT support including network support there hasn't been many times where i have had to look at the request of managers what staff have been doing on their pc's and or monitor web activity. Issues have come to light when fixing pc's or where i have been using wireshark or similar to look at network issues and in the process of that come across things that needed reporting but these have been few and far between.

I agree to what you said, audit is flawed, which stated 80hrs of browsing on one site in month alone.

Anyway
Akamai support replied and confirmed what mPulse is, so I’m happy now.

And Thank you everyone

Sponsored Links
Back