MR16 lamps ideas on how to test supply type?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Reading this report on MR16 lamps it would seem the quartz tungsten halogen lamps are to be phased out.

I am OK I use a plain toroidal transformer, and to just plug in an LED replacement is OK although it will make the bathroom cooler. But others will not be so lucky, where inverters are used with a minimum output. Many are hidden, and for the normal house holder to find, and read what is fitted is not going to be easy.

Although I know the units will shut down, I have not done any tests to see how they react when under loaded. I am sure some one out there has. So how about saying what is the noticed result, when under size bulbs are used with inverters so we will recognise the fault when reported?

Sponsored Links
Although I know the units will shut down,
If pnly that were true for all units. Some cheap units do not shut down but instead go unstable and may even over heat.

Then there are the counterfeits which ( appear to ) work but have no means to prevent hazards arising when they are used with an incorrect load

Sponsored Links
However, it is important to note that MR16 low voltage lamps as a generic product are not being phased out.

Alternative light sources:

Homeowners will have the choice between compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs), which use up to 75% less energy than conventional light bulbs, and the more efficient halogen types, which use between 25% and 50% less energy depending upon exact type.

They also now have a further choice - that of LED lamps, which have a wide range of benefits.....

More here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back