Lighting: replace existing MR16 downlights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some problems with lighting in the flat that I own. The lighting was installed by a previous owner, and largely consists of halogen 12V MR16 downlights. When I arrived the bulbs were 50W, but as these have failed, I have been fitting 35W 36 degree beam angle halogen bulbs, because I felt the existing lighting was excessively bright.

The halogen lights are supplemented by standard lamps and bedside lamps fitted with tungsten bulbs.

My main problem is flicker. I have dimmer switches, and I know these cause problems with this type of lighting (the halogen lighting). However, when the lights aren't flickering, I do quite enjoy the quality of light that I am getting when the lights are dimmed. I find that, undimmed, the light is really too bright and the colour temperature a bit too high for my liking.

I have tried to research lighting topics on this forum, but there seems to be a bit of a crusade against downlighting because of its alleged inefficiency, whereas I am more interested in trying to achieve a relaxing environment, although I am not claiming that downlights are necessarily good for that either.

I am wary of more modern lighting such as LED and CFL, but I am mostly ignorant about it. The few times I have encountered these things, I have found the light to be very harsh and industrial, although I am aware there is huge variation in the characteristics of lights of these types.

I never really had any difficulties with tungsten lighting, and always enjoyed it, especially the colour temperature when dimmed.

Is anyone aware of good resources on the internet where I can read up on alternative lighting solutions? I am particularly interested in achieving a nice warm glow, and don't really care about efficiency, although I am not against it if it can be achieved at the same time.

Sponsored Links
Is anyone aware of good resources on the internet where I can read up on alternative lighting solutions? I am particularly interested in achieving a nice warm glow, and don't really care about efficiency, although I am not against it if it can be achieved at the same time.
There are so many resources that can be found on the internet, don't want to state the the blinding obvious but your best bet is doing Google all of your own to find out your ideal solution.
Your problem with flicker lights could well be the compatibility with dimmer and transformer.

Are there any dimmers/ type of dimmers recommended for halogen 12V lights?

Yes, I know about Google, but it is a very big place.

What is the range of the current dimmer?
Is it compatible with elv transformers?
How many 35w lamps work off this dimmer?

Sponsored Links
It's dimmer and transformers that require matching.
It is very big place and your asking a big question, that requires your personal input, with what your preferences are!
The warm glow is going to be achieved by the type of lamps you install, illuminance will be affected by output and dimmer.

If you dim halogen lamps you shorten their life.

Next time you're using Google, search for "halogen cycle".

What is the range of the current dimmer?
Is it compatible with elv transformers?
How many 35w lamps work off this dimmer?
Not sure what you mean by the range of the dimmer. It is quite a big range in the sense it goes from very dim to full brightness.

Don't know about compatibility with elv transformers.

There are 6 lamps on two of the dimmers, and 5 on another.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back