Mr16 lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an electric stove with a strip of 5 mr16 bulbs, 2 bulbs wired to one side and 3 to the other, all connected. One stopped working, bulb holders were rubbish, replaced them with new. Now if I turn on with 5 bulbs it won't work, switch off take 2 out it will work and I can then hold other 2 in and they do light so there is power. What is causing this? Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You probably have used the wrong wattage lamps. The power supply will have a maximum power output.
If you use lamps that have a larger power rating than specified then the power supply will cut out.

Check the wiring you did when replacing the two lamp holders in question. Hand pressure might explain why the connection is good when they do light up.

Blup

The bulbs light when they just touch the connection, they aren't actually pushed in.

Sponsored Links
The bulbs light when they just touch the connection, they aren't actually pushed in.

The opposite could be the case, something disconnects when pressure is applied.

Blup

Out of interest I looked up the 5 pack bulbs by dimplex and it says "This product is now discontinued" so it seems likely you have been sent a replacement product, the 12 volt MR16 lamps were available as 10 watt, but also as 50 watt, I have found the 10 watt versions are hard to find, I have renewed many of an electronic transformer because the owner could not buy 10 watt lamps local. OK today we have even smaller with LED, but I would try reading what it says on the lamp, it is possible wrong lamps have been sent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back