MS Removal Tool Grrrrrrr

J

joinerjohn

Just picked this bloody malware up this afternoon. Stopped almost everything working. Luckily I had read about this fake program. Started up in safe mode with networking and downloaded and ran Malwarebytes Antimalware program. Has taken just over an hour, but (touchwood) everythings back up and running normally.
Last time I allow one of the grandkids on here for an hour. They can stay home and infect their computers instead. ;) ;) ;)

I must really thank Dave M for his useful posts here "Now That's What I Call Software. (and the links. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
John,
Thanks for the mention.

Now that you have a clean system you MUST purge the System Restore:

Purging System Restore

To remove all SR Points thus removing any contaminated ones:
Turn OFF System Restore then turn it back ON and then set a new restore point.

In XP:
Follow these instructions (method 2)
Then set a new restore point by following these instructions.

In Vista:
Follow these instructions.
Then set a new restore point by following these instructions

In Windows 7
Follow these instructions
Then set a new restore point by following these instructions

dave ;)

Thanks again Dave. I did purge the system restore as soon as the computer restarted after running MBAM.
Cheers JJ ;) ;) ;)

PS, I've just created a new system restore point as of a few minutes ago. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Combofix should not be recommended to a computer novice:

From the Bleeping Computer site:

Please note that running this program without supervision can cause your computer to not operate correctly. Therefore only run this program at the request of an experienced helper.

dave

its a very effective tool that i have been using for a long time. But i should have stressed if all else fails.

(also i am an experienced helper ;) )

Last time I allow one of the grandkids on here for an hour. They can stay home and infect their computers instead.
My grandchildren are allowed to use the computer for their game sites but I realised the danger of them downloading something nasty. My own safeguards against this are:

* To use Sandboxie to isolate the browser. If anyone (including me) does come across anything nasty, it should stay contained within the sandbox and won't infect the system. Empty the sandbox and it will be gone.

* To keep a disk image handy that has been made when the system is clean. If anything gets downloaded and installed that isn't ultimately wanted, the disk image can be used to return the system to how it was. A sort of deeper System Restore method.

Back