Mulching question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tomorrow I need to cut a fair amount of grass with my self propelled mower and the customer said to just leave the grass on the floor as opposed to collecting it in the box.

Do I just remove the collection box & keep the back door open or keep it shut ?

Or any advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
If the back door/ flap is closed the cutting area will soon fill up and clog the blade.

It all depends on the type of mower you have, some create enough blow to just open flap enough to let the cuttings out without rattling your shins with debris as it can if you jam it too far open.
Does your client think you have a mulching mower though.

I thought about just leaving it open a touch with something so it blows sideways.

Where the grass needs cutting it’s not important to pick it up hence leaving it where it’s cut.

Sponsored Links
If your mower's discharge favours s particular side try cut in the direction that blows onto whats been cut .If you go the other way, you'll be cutting growing grass and what you've already cut.

Drill a small hole at the bottom of the flap the attach a length of wire,string or strimmer cord from there up to a suitable place on the handles . Experiment with the length to give a flap opening that doesn't clog or blast you with debris

Believe it or not there is a difference between standard and mulching blades, and some machines have a plug that blocks the grass discharge chute.
In your case the grass will just spray over your feet so Wellingtons are recommended!
John :)

If the back door/ flap is closed the cutting area will soon fill up and clog the blade.

mine has a flap which opens when the grassbox is fitted, and when no grassbox, directs the cuttings downwards behind the mower.

A design that caused it to clog would be very poor.

hard to guess without seeing the particular machine.

BTW if you spray the underparts of the mower with WD40 before starting to cut, it prevents the clippings sticking and accumulating into a clog. Makes it easier to wash down after, too.

mine has a flap which opens when the grassbox is fitted, and when no grassbox, directs the cuttings downwards behind the mower.

A design that caused it to clog would be very poor.

hard to guess without seeing the particular machine.

BTW if you spray the underparts of the mower with WD40 before starting to cut, it prevents the clippings sticking and accumulating into a clog. Makes it easier to wash down after, too.
Lucky you. Mine just clogged the area around the blade but as you say hard to guess (which I wasnt) without knowing more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back