can anyone recomend a lawnmower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to buy a new lawnmower and would like to know what would be the best option.

the back garden is 15 sq/m and the front is 8 sq/m. The back garden has just been re-turfed, the front has some quite thick grass from where it has been left to grow too long and leaves something simular to a stump when cut.

So i'm looking for something quite small and not too expensive preferably with grass collection which would have to be at the rear of the mower due to the layout of the garden.

I have seen a couple of cheap flymo models (mow n vac type) but they had poor customer reviews.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Before you dismiss this, you have a very small area, and these don't need a power supply, are incredibly quiet, can handle lawn length and up to 5 or 6 feet high. I cut one strip of lawn with one because it's easier than getting the mower out.

The old quicktime video here is worth watching.

lol, nice idea, however i'm hoping to keep on top of the mowing now and I think it could be quite difficult to use one of them on grass 50mm long

Not difficult at all, that's why I mentioned I do one bit of lawn with one, and it's cut to less than 50mm. It will take a bit of practice, but on your patch it will outlast you.

Sponsored Links
I llike oilmans thinking, but wont folks think your the grim reeper if your running around your back yard with a sythe. It may scare the neighbours and its a fairly dangerous tool to own.

Ok Ive had a good think and I recommend a goat. Cheap, reasonably quiet and fun for all the family, sure to keep unwanted quests at bay as well.

yeah, but i will have to clean up the goat poo and maybe feed it something as the garden is so small.

FWIW I have just been trying to repair a flymo for a friend.

The brushes are no longer available & an entire motor was £60.
THey dont last more than a few years.

I was recommended to get one with 4 wheels on instead, the flymo uses most of its power to keep it up so has little power left for the actual grass cutting. (so I'm told).

Did the job when I wanted to cut the grass though.
Asda are doing them for £30 at the mo, if it lasts the year out then you have your moneys worth.

youve got a fairly small lawn. you cant go to far wrong with the bosch mowers. these are avaliable in most of the diy sheds at about 70-90 quid. they are a remake of the qualcast ones and they are a very good mower. easy to adjust the height and a reasonable sized collection box. light enough to push easily as well. flymo tend to be over heavy and a nightmare when it comes to adjusting the height.

I would definitely recommend Bosch. I try and buy Bosch for everything to be honest and I'm pretty sure they offer two year guarantees as standard.

I've just bought this one...

http://www.bosch-pt.com/productspecials/garden/rotak2006/uk/en/overview/index.htm

and it works pretty well I find. Not as easy to move around as a flymo and not very, very small either. But, it definitely cuts the grass much better than my old flymo did...much better

With your size lawn a hand mower means easier cutting, Though you can't let it get long This is one example.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back