multi extension or new socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just been fitted with a modem for my internet and also had a new phone line put in the same corner as my tv, set top box , router, dvd, video etc. etc. So need 2 new plug points-I have a double socket in that corner and run 2 multi extension cables from them - one holds 3 plugs and one holds 6. My question is are these extension boards quite safe even at full capacity or should I get a new double socket put in the corner? Advice from an electrician would be appreciated to put my mind at rest.

Sponsored Links
nothing wrong with them..
they're limited to 13A so are fine at that

a new modem and router will draw only about 1A between them, if that..
just replace the 3 way extension with a 6 way.

Judy, those trailing sockets can take up to 13 amps or 3000 watts.

Look at average (guessed) power drains for appliances:

monitor: 100w
computer: 250w (varies)
speakers: 20w
flat tv: 200-400w
CRT TV: 50-200w
router: 20w
dvd: 30w
video (who uses VCRs now?) 40w
STB: 20w

So even with all sockets full of this low-drain stuff, you're nowhere near their capacity.

I remember one furniture shop that sells beds nearby, they had about 10 2-gang 5 metre leads running behind the beds, all daisy chained off each other, with a single lamp running off the end of each lead. Perfectly safe. I have run a 6-way off a 4-way before etc. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back