multi fuel inset

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just had a multi fuel inset fitted and im using a railway sleeper as a shelf

above the fire do i need to treat it with anything or is it ok as its untreated ?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it a real rail sleeper, impregnated with creosote ? If so then you will have real problems once you fire up the stove and the sleeper starts to warm.

If it's a garden centre "sleeper" then I think it'll seriously warp once it dries out

Im not sure to be honest i got it at b & m there was still quite a bit of bark on oneside , i havent smelt any fumes come off it so im assuming its untreated , it was cheap enough so no problem if it does warp

I have a log/coal burner. When we originally prep for the fire we installed a sleeper lintel, which looked amazing. But as soon as the fire installer came he pointed out some ref's, basically you're not allowed a wood sleeper and most have a 'fake' hanging shelf on the outside of the chimney. I thought Id mention it as installing a heat source without it being upto code will null any insurance claim you ever try making, if it came to it.
Our answer was to install concrete and forget about the wood altogether

Beefy

Sponsored Links
On second reading, if its a 'fake' shelf you are installing, not a lintel as long as you are sure its not coated in any flammable you're good. I've done extensive research and testing into putting a tv on my chimney breast with a fire (and flu lining). I've found the heat travels out from the fireplace and there is very little heat, rolling up the brick, if that helps you out?

Thanks for the advice i did want a floating shelf but was too fiddly for me , but i did get a pair of cast iron brackets to sit the shelf on so its not tight against the chimney breast its just resting on it and not bolted or screwed to it and got the guy that helped install it put them up for me , it doesnt look or smell as if its treated , cos its an inset i didnt need a flue liner

As long as the shelf isn't really close to source of heat (I'm sure there'll be ref's about it'll but I don't know them, sorry!) I'm sure it'll be fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back