Fitting Inset Woodburner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just wonder if someone can help..
I would like to instal inset wood burner in to chimney breast hole.
try to achieved something like this:
and this is the inset wood burner which I plan to fit:

From seller info:
Front of fire: 692mm wide, 520mm high, depth(from front of stove) 380mm.
The hole in the wall needs to be: 620mm wide, 500mm high and at least 350mm deep

This gives me 20mm difference between fire and the hole (vertical) , so looks like 10mm top and 10mm bottom frame ( if I'm right), just don't know how to connect flue pipe when this goes in to the hole with no space around, how to slide flue on top of burner, how to secure, how to seal it, can I do it from inside wood burner ? Can I finish front of the chimney without having inset just leave the hole and flue pipe with reg. plate and fit it later, or fit the inset burner first then build the bricks around it. ?
How this things get installed ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Bit pedantic. OP obviously is not experienced and should really be getting a HETAS installer to fit to prevent risk of him killing himself and others......

Oh, and to make sure it passes regs and doesn't become a problem when he comes to sell...

It can be done by DIY as long as you know what you doing, and you doing it acording builiding reg. - on the end Building Inspector will issue a certificate for you - that's what I know.
So..thank you for your advises and worrying about my life, just looking for technical tip or advise not moral instructions.

just had the chimney swept and smoke test pass so ready to order stove, any ideas how to finish this, I asked the chimney sweeper but he sad he never installed a inset wood burner and he didn't know how to connect it... so probably I just will fit and connect the stove and will build bricks over/around it..

How are you going to test that all of the carbon monoxide is vented up the chimney and not into the room?
How are you going to test that there are no flash or flame points around the fire fitments?

I wouldn't fit something like this myself, and your questions haven't confirmed that you know any more about this topic than I do.

You should have it fitted by someone who is certified to plan, fit and test it.

How are you going to test that all of the carbon monoxide is vented up the chimney and not into the room?
How are you going to test that there are no flash or flame points around the fire fitments?
Do you know what test smoke is ?
I will have two carbon monoxide detectors one downstairs and one upstairs when chimney goes.
Inset will be tested before will be close with bricks.

you need a class 1 liner for the flue for a wood burner because off the tarry deposits
have you looked up part "J" :D
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADJ_2010.pdf[/QUOTE]

I read part "J" before and now again and I couldn't find part which says that you can't use a chimney channel connected to vitreous enamelled steel pipe for closed (inset) wood burner (actually this is multifuel).. can you point me which page says that, I'm getting confused ? My chimney sweeper sad that this is ok and I don't need liner and it will pass building reg. ( liner can cost about £600 with fitting so this will be a huge difference) he also mentioned that high street shops trying to sell expensive flu liner and they say you will die and kill your family with carbon monoxide etc..

Does any one know if HETAS registered can ok'it diy installation and how much can this cost ? (otherwise is £156 for building reg. tab. C up to £2000 work)
Also - I already applied for building reg. when removed load bearing wall - had inspector to check first stage (he's gonna come once more when all work will be finished) can I add inset wood burner installation to this ?

I'm a chimney sweep - I would recommend that you get a HETAS registered chimney sweep to fit it - he will know whether it requires a lining or not. If you want to do it yourself, make sure the chimney sweep you've used already did a smoke integrity test.

A Hetas installer is not supposed to certify the work of another. However if he can see everything then he might but he will assume full responsibility.

One can connect direct to chimney (no liner) IF all Building regs are complied with e.g.

1. Proper SEALED smoke test is followed and chimney does not leak smoke
2. Chimney draw is achieved to stove manufacturer's demands following install (measured with a suitable instrument)
3. Chimney can be swept properly and soot cannot collect

A fat, uninsulated or non-smooth chimney may fail the draw test and cause smoke to enter the room via the stove.

This is not an exhaustive list. There are other regs (height, termination issues etc.).

But yes it is possible.

Julian
Google Stove Fitter's Manual (.co.uk) or "how to install a wood burning stove"

Do you know what test smoke is ?
I will have two carbon monoxide detectors one downstairs and one upstairs when chimney goes.
Inset will be tested before will be close with bricks.

Carbon Monoxide detectors will tell you that something has gone wrong with your installation. We're suggesting that you get someone qualified to ensure that the installation is done correctly in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back