Multi-fuel stoves - are chimney liners essential

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking into the possibility of having a multifuel stove fitted. It will be where the original cooking range would have been in my house.

The chimney has been blocked off for years and I know it will have to be super-swept but I was wondering if getting it lined was essential is their was enough of a draw. The opening (face on) is approx 1400mm high by 800mm wide if that has any bearing.

It's a smallish room so I will be going for a 3-4kw stove max.

Hope that all makes sense!

Hx

Sponsored Links
The correct answer is no you don't absolutely have to.
But you should have the chimney swept and checked for efficiency by a HETAS engineer. You should also inform building control.

I didn't need one, but I am fitting one as it will improve the efficiency of the stove.

You'll need to have a 'register plate' fitted - its usually a steel plate that seals off the bottom of the chimney recess. It will have a hole cut in it that fits the diameter of the flue pipe that you intend to use, and also it should have an access plate fitted, big enough to get a vacuum cleaner nozzle in to clear the soot after chimney sweeping. As said before, a flue liner is not strictly necessary so long as the chimney is in good condition with no leaks. Cheers John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back