Multi Tool recommendations to replace my Bosch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had my Bosch oscillating multi tool for 5+ years and worth its weight in gold, but finally killed its motor cutting through hardwood floorboards :cry:

Need to buy a new one, and there now seems to be a large choice. So, a few questions are....

1) How do Worx, JCB, Macalister, Draper etc stack up with Bosch - any better than the rest or ones to avoid???

2) Are cordless not worth the bother in terms of performance compared to corded??

3) Best to get one that doesn't need tools to lock the blades? I have found this week that using non-Bosch blades means I had to keep tightening the allen bolt which was a pain.

Thanks (y)

Sponsored Links
I have been happy with my fein, however I think that they and Bosch have now moved on to a new blade fitting configuration which may make buying new blades more expensive.

Worx, JCB, Macalister, Draper, etc.. I am not a fan of their products. Fine for light use but pants for continuous use.

That said, I did get my stepdad a tool free Saxton oscillating saw via Amazon, reduced from £100 to £50. No idea how good it is though. He will only use it a couple of times a year.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FY45DH2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cordless? Makes the tool heavier but frees you from cables.

Allen keys? IMO, a complete PITA.

A mate of mine restores sash windows and really abuses his multitools. He buys the cheap Makita ones from Toolstation, when they die after 6 months. He takes it back, gets a refund rather than a replacement, buys a new one and gets another 12 month warranty...

Best ones going currently are the Bosch, Fein and the cordless DeWalt. Fein and Bosch have the Starlock system too.

Needed to get one today and limited places near my work, but B&Q had a macallister for £54. seems fine, especially since it says 3 year guarantee.

Sponsored Links
I can't believe that Bosch have updated their cordless multi tool but without brushless motor and without keyless blade change.

Keyless blade change would be to of my list, and I would be tempted to get one from a different system too just for that.

I can't believe that Bosch have updated their cordless multi tool but without brushless motor and without keyless blade change.

Keyless blade change would be to of my list, and I would be tempted to get one from a different system too just for that.

?

http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/bosch-gop-18-v-ec-n-multi-cutter-naked-in-lboxx-with-accs#gref

Brushless and tool free, see video, about 1 min and 45 seconds. As I said in my earlier post they and fein now use the starlock system

The corded Festool multitool with accessories is £480
burning-money-dollars-table-fire-1378245820F.gif

You can get the bare tool without the case and fittings for less but if they're something you'll use anyway you're getting a better deal.

I guess the box adds about £35(?) to the cost.

I do like the look of the Sortimo boxes, unfortunately they aren't compatible with my festool stuff ;-(

Cordless body only starlock metabo is £140.

It's not Starlock. Only Fein and Bosch have the rights to use Starlock. Metabo used a similar system to Makita where a centre locking pin drops out on the leaver actuation.

As for Bosch. Powertoolworld have the Bosch GOP18v-28 with Starlock bare for £125, might get one myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back