Multifinish over expanding foam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m cutting out a 6” channel from ceiling to floor in insulated plasterboard for heating pipes. If I then fill with expanding foam can I just cut it back and skim the whole wall?

Sponsored Links
furpho, good evening.

Personally do not fancy cutting such a channel because, each side of the "cut" would flap about and be very unstable.

if you have the space behind the plaster board then you might get away with cutting the channel, then fitting a floor to ceiling batten to each cut edge, the trick is that if you use say a 50mm2 timber you can have 25.mm to re-fix the cut side to + still have 25.mm to fix a "new" bit of plasterboard over the gap, making the repair simpler, even if you subsequently use lining paper as a further mask to the channel??

BUT? there is generally a "but" within the wall there will be [generally] two or possibly three horizontal bits of timber, intentionally placed there to adequately support the plasterboard over its height and width?? Leave them in place and fit the vertical new timber between them, the heating pipes may be able to fit on the "rear" of the horizontal pieces you may able to "fix" the pipes to the timber, it will assist in stopping water hammer??

Ken.

Evening Ken.. very good point about the flapping. I think I’m going to have to cut the channel and see what I find. I’m now wondering about expanding foam board adhesive. I’ve never seen it used but if it’s similar to expanding foam it could stop the flapping and fill the gap. Not sure if I can skim over it though

You can use foam and skim over it. The foams pretty sticky, so should also fill behind and to the side and adhere, eliminating the flapping issue. Scrim the foam to board joins.

Sponsored Links
In the end i cut out the channel and used expanding foam to stick in a new piece of board and hold the flapping sides. Worked a treat. All solid. Thanks for your assistance guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back