Multifuel stove installation with cavity wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place!

I am about to be getting a multi fuel stove installed as part of a renovation project. The flue is a Clay Flue which sits within the cavity of the wall which has the small polystyrene type insulation balls inside.

My question is whether this would be a problem when installing the stove?

The flue was installed when the house was built and has never been used. My plan is to have a flue coming off the top of the stove and rising up the wall for about 2m before entering the wall and into the clay flue. But am concerned that the polystyrene balls would come into contact with the (Hot?) flue surface.

Thanks

(ps the stove will be no more than 5kW)

Sponsored Links
you need a class one liner for a wood burner
in general the burner is the cheaper part off the setup
and without several tonnes off free wood gas central heating will be far cheaper than wood
yes if you want an expensive time consuming lifestyle choice yes brilliant go for wood if you want simplicit easy and efficiency heat go for gas

and yes i have a stove with free wood but use it when i need to relax and escape :rolleyes:
an electric fan heater can heat the same space in around 50 mins at the cost off 30p that the stove will take around twice as long to heat with tending around every 15 to 20 mins

Last edited:
Ha, ha Thanks big all, I'm not installing it to use as a primary heat source. The room will have radiators for that. It is more aesthetic than anything else. Like you say, the're good to relax in front of.( it's a primal thing).
My understanding is that the clay liner will be suitable in its own right. But, do you suggest the additional liner due to the insulation?
Interestingly, I have a fireplace in a different room but on the same wall which is currently being used as an open fire and have no issues due to the insulation??

Sponsored Links
you need to run it past building control as they will be the ones certifying the install
or if you are going the hetas route then the installer will decide

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back