Multimeter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
MY multimeter has just gone T**s up. Anybody recommend a decent one that is rugged enough to stand up to some abuse?

Sponsored Links
Personally I wouldn't rely on a meter that gets abused, so you could either:

a) buy one that costs so much that you want to look after it;

or

b) every day, buy the cheapest crappest one on the planet and stamp on it when you've finished using it.

:idea:

I'm sure a few choice words said against it now and again won't harm it.

Sponsored Links
Personally I wouldn't rely on a meter that gets abused, so you could either:

a) buy one that costs so much that you want to look after it;

or

b) every day, buy the cheapest crappest one on the planet and stamp on it when you've finished using it.

:idea:

By abuse I didn't mean chucking it about Softus but obviously a meter that is used on the job and carried in your van/sack is going to get more knocks than one that is kept at home on the shelf for work in a lab type environment.

I believe Maplins had quite a good sale on these recently, looked quite adequate but don't whether it's still on.
Best of luck

dont mean the £4.99 one buy one get one free , when the battery is flat throw it away ones do you?

What are you going to use the multimeter for? Is it professional use? What do you need to measure? I have a fluke 77 which does all that I need to use a multimeter for.

I have a fluke 1577 which I get along with quite nicely, it also has an integrated insulation tester. Solid as you like, but the downside is that the insulation tester and AA batteries add extra bulk.

Just got my dad a Megger Avo 310 for his birthday - again, seems like a nice meter, solid construction, auto ranging, all the usual features and only £80.

tabs said:
By abuse I didn't mean chucking it about Softus but obviously a meter that is used on the job and carried in your van/sack is going to get more knocks than one that is kept at home on the shelf for work in a lab type environment.
Hmm. I do know what you mean, of course, but my point is this: my metering and testing equipment cost my company (i.e. me) many hundreds of my hard-earned (albeit pre-tax) smackeroonies.

This is why I keep the most expensive bits inside the manufacturers-supplied cases, and then inside a hard tool box that contains only meters, testers, batteries, and calibration-checking components - the whole caboodle is probably treated more carefully than my very own genitalia. The impact of not doing this could be very expensive, in terms of either having to replace my equipment or in risking loss of customers' property and or lives.

I also have several £4.99 jobbies whose accuracy is immaterial, and each live wherever I'd least expect to find one but, when I'm desperate, wish the most fervently that they'll be there. ;)

I do not know if they still make them as they used to, but my fluke from somewhere in the 80s has only recently let me know it wants to retire. Believe you me, it has been bumped around, dropped and lived in places where no fluke has gone before. My next one will be a fluke again.

Got a fluke that is now over 15 years old an in perfect working order

What are you going to use the multimeter for? Is it professional use? What do you need to measure? I have a fluke 77 which does all that I need to use a multimeter for.

Basically testing on boilers, any1 got any recommendations on where to source meters that have been recommended?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back