Multimeter...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to buy a multimeter just for use around the house. I was suprised to see that analog meters are still produced. The electricians I've seen around here have used digital. Can anyone tell me if there is that much difference between the two ?
Thanks ... Kev...

Sponsored Links
yes, digital are easier to read, since they have no scale as the background, they also can take more knocks, a true analogue meter is like a fine instrument, it should not be knocked about if you want it to be good and last

A digital meter takes a number of sample readings of, for example, a current which may be fluctuating, and calculates and displays an average.

An analogue meter shows by the deflection of the needle what is really happening, so that being able to observe the movement of the needle can provide useful information.

As you say, analogue meters are still made for the cheapest part of the market, and also as high-quality instruments for those who need them and can interpret the readings. As Breezer says, digital meters are generally more robust and easier to read.

Thanks alot for the info. I think I'll just go for something simple so that I won't confuse myself :confused: .

Thanks again ...Kev...

Sponsored Links
Suggest you look in the "Fluke" range.
Excellent meters, robust, and easy to use.
The price however is a tad more than some are happy to pay.

Worth the money in my view tho.

Look and buy carefully as you will find that for general use you will not use all the available settings on some meters.

For example i would not think you would use a frequency ( Hz) setting on a meter that often so why pay for the priviledge.

For general use you need Volts up to 1000v and Amps range.
Ohms range with an integral squeaker.

And i find that a backlit screen is usefull for the times in the loft in the dark.

Fluke 75 should do you i think but the 75 is not backlit

Fluke 83 is and also an excellent meter also.

If its just for use around the house, whats so wrong with a cheaper multimeter thats more than capable of doing the job?

Even something like this is adequate enough for occasional DIY use around the house, especially as a first meter.

While the accuracy and lifespan may not be upto par with those of the Fluke range, they do not need to be.

It all depends on how much Kev wants to pay & how often he thinks he will use it.

We have tested cheap little £2.50 meters against more expensive Flukes and when checked for calibration they have been well within spec.

Cant agree more mattylad.

Nothings wrong with any multimeter, they all do basically the same.
It is just down to individual choice as to how much to pay.

Yep Fluke are expensive, i use mine in my work as well as home, automotive and anything else i need to check on so i use something that will last the course.

That does not mean to say that the cheaper end wont of course but at the end of the day its down to individual preference.

Same reason why others buy Dewalt and others use Makita, its a drill and it still makes a round hole !

Personally myself you cant beat an AVO 8 dated thought they are.

tufty wrote - "Personally myself you cant beat an AVO 8 dated thought they are."

I completely agree; I got mine in 1969 and it's still going strong and it looks lovely in it's well-worn real leather case ... yummy. The only time I seem to use my digital jobby is for testing fuses on it's buzzer setting but it is small enough to fit in the toolbox.

OH NO!

Now we are going to get all the "I got an Avo too" comments.... :D

Me too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back