Multiple cans of expired food - disposal of?

23120330_10214682392838156_6555082675332810426_o.jpg

Sponsored Links
Can it be dug into the ground or is there some kind of environmental law against that?

30 tins' worth of food is not a large volume.

Can it be dug into the ground or is there some kind of environmental law against that?

30 tins' worth of food is not a large volume.
The problem is if you bury them, the cans will start to rust, and when you dig them up in a couple of years time, the food inside might have tainted, and won't taste the same. Not recommended.

The problem is if you bury them, the cans will start to rust, and when you dig them up in a couple of years time, the food inside might have tainted, and won't taste the same. Not recommended.

I meant bury the contents, not the cans....

The cans can simply go into household recycling.

Sponsored Links
I take it you don't have a green bin?

Part of our green bin collection is garden waste, the other food waste which is bagged up separately and goes to an anaerobic digestion plant.

before you throw it out
have a read here
The "use-by" or "best-by" dates that are often printed on cans are for quality, not safety.
Providing the TIN looks OK, and has not been in extreme temperatures

Personally on TINS I ignore the dates ..... to be honest I ignore a lot of the other useby/bestby - never had them when i grew up and just take good care
We do tend to throw chicken out if its gone past its date and kept in fridge ..... otherwise a few days usually isnt going to make a huge difference ..... and as said before - look at it, smell it, taste a small amount .....

Thanks for all of the suggestions, all are helpful and some have given me a good laugh. :)

Sponsored Links
Back