Almost expired plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have around 60 bags of Thistle multi-finish plaster which expires 11-Nov. Plasterer is coming back on 1-Nov and I am not sure if he'll get round to using it all before expiry date (he needs to finish boarding up, skim the ceilings which will use some plaster but not all 60 bags), then float the walls before he can skim all them - chances are he''ll be at it until end of November. Is the plaster still likely to be OK if its week or two after expiry date? What is the deal with plaster expiry - I was told it'll set quickly when almost expired. Should I try and sell it off now or wait for the plasterer?

Sponsored Links
It rather depends if it’s been stored in a nice dry environment, by both you & the supplier you bought it from. If it was just a couple of bags, it’s not worth the risk & I would skip it & start again but 60 bags :eek: . All you can do is open one or two, mix some up & see what happens; it may be OK but this time of year with all the damp around, maybe not. if it's palleted, the bags on the inside might be OK but the ones on the outside may be poor.

It should stay useable for between 40-50 minutes; if it’s just started to go off, the useable time may be slightly reduced which could make your spreads job much harder. If the set time is significantly shorter he may be able to get it on the wall but it will go off before he’s had enough time float it out & it will look awful, it will also create problems with the second coat. If it’s gone off altogether it will set almost as quickly as you look at it & sometimes in the bucket while you’re mixing. Personally if it was anything other than a marginal difference in set time I would call a stop & say I’m not using that, either get some more or find someone else.
I very much doubt you’ll be able to sell it off, only an idiot would buy it; certainly no spread would touch it!

Hold on. It was only bought like a month ago - its still got month and a half usage left and its been left indoors - why would noone buy it? I can imagine if I tried to sell it off mid November, but its only just began October.

I've used plaster way older than that without a problem. (months older)

Sponsored Links
I've used plaster way older than that without a problem. (months older)
Possible but I wouldn’t give you good odds this time of year; as I said, depends how well it’s been stored.
Hold on. It was only bought like a month ago
Well it had 2 ½ months of a 4 month shelf life left on it then! Once you ship plaster to any site, it should be used within days. I’ve never had gear months out of date but I’ve had some just out of date & it’s set in the bucket; I’ve used it just in date & it’s been fine but I’ve also had some with well over 2 months date left & it’s been crap. Yours may be OK & maybe not, the only way you’re going to know is to mix some up. I’m fussy where I get my gear from now after some bad experiences early on & it doesn’t include a damp tin shed in a Builders Merchants yard. For several years now I’ve been buying mine from the same place & always load up that with the longest date I can find but I also know I can trust it even when it’s short dated. I wouldn’t buy plaster from a second hand source without a guarantee of how/where it’s been stored & not just over a month in date unless I could try it & it offered a serious financial incentive.

why would noone buy it?
You might find someone prepared to risk it but why would they unless it was seriously cheap? I wouldn't & certainly not 60 bags of it :eek: . Perhaps joe will take it off your hands . ;)

Thanks for the replies. I called the plasterer in the end and asked him to use them on the job he's currently on and get me some more when he's ready.

Thanks for the replies. I called the plasterer in the end and asked him to use them on the job he's currently on and get me some more when he's ready.
Good on ya & a very wise move indeed, Im impressed ;) That’s probably the best deal you could ever make as long as he's happy with it :LOL: but a rare compromise indeed. ;)

60 bags is an awful lot of butter though, what's he going to use it on? & what are you using it on?

Good on ya & a very wise move indeed, Im impressed ;) That’s probably the best deal you could ever make as long as he's happy with it :LOL: but a rare compromise indeed. ;)

60 bags is an awful lot of butter though,
what's he going to use it on? & what are you using it on?

The Great wall of China. :LOL:

He's got the job to re-plaster the whole house. I gave him the money and he bought the stuff - I have no idea why so much though, all at once.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back