Multiple cans of expired food - disposal of?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seems that I had about 30 cans of expired canned food at the back of one of my cupboards, mainly soup. They're a few years out of date so there's no chance that I'll eat them. What's the best way to dispose of the contents?

I have a septic tank so perhaps chuck them in there, or might that cause some issues for the bacteria that live in the tank and digest the waste matter? I can't see how given what usually goes in there but I have no idea.

Or can anyone think of any better solutions?

Sponsored Links
If you want to throw it, put some paper and cardboard in a bag and pour in food.

Seal bag and put in dust bin

Last edited:
when my mum died there where several cans at least 40 years old[dated in the 1960s] and whilst we did cook a fray bentos pie in a tin that cooked properly normal looked normal and smelt normal no one tried it
the various other tins off veg and fruit simply flushed down the pan again fully passing the smell and taste test---
-----and anything less than 5 years out off date will eat as fresh up to 10 years old a bit more care older than ten a bit more care

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you want to throw it, put some paper and cardboard in a bag and pour in food.

Seal bag and put in dust bin
That is certainly an option, would have to stagger it over a few weeks though as 30 cans of soup dumped all at once into a bag is going to be a bit suspicious surely? I mean the way it'll slop about .........

That is certainly an option, would have to stagger it over a few weeks though as 30 cans of soup dumped all at once into a bag is going to be a bit suspicious surely? I mean the way it'll slop about .........
Buy a cheap bag of cat litter then to mix in. Works great for paint ect so small bag will do you Vs paper and cardboard

If you're not gonna eat it, put it down the bog, tins in the recycle bin. Simples.

Sponsored Links
Back