Multiple Damp Patches on Roof

Sponsored Links
The sagging you show in the pictures shouldn't be bad enough for the felt laps to fail, but there's obviously a problem with the felt since there's water getting in.
As per the earlier advice by others, have the roof inspected for cracked/missing/broken tiles.

Ok had a roofer round. Went up onto roof and can see no issues with the tiles themselves. He feels the issue is likely due to the way the ridge tiles have been laid, which over overlapping instead of next to each other. The overlap on most has no pointing on it (roof has been Aquasealed many years ago). The strong wind and rain we've had would explain the widespread leaks if the ridge was the issue.

He will price up either patching the pointing on the ridge and also lifting laying properly. I imagine the latter would be the better option.

Here is a photo of the roof.
IMG_20151117_093654.jpg

The fact that the roof has been sealed is obviously a sign of a defect, this should not be so on a relatively new roof, if done in a traditional manner.

The roofers conclusion seems about right.

If we'd seen this photo then I think most of us would've pointed(no pun intended)you in the same direction .

Sponsored Links
Glad to hear that you seem to have it sorted - but what about the protruding "felt boards" at the verges, did the roofer have anything to say about the protrusions?

Perhaps, when you feel its appropriate, you would post which quote and price you went for - other interested DIY'ers will be following this thread.

Ree, he did say that quite often a board is placed in that space to support the weight of the concrete verge and this board is normally suitable for purpose and that is in fact what I'm seeing, not the internal board.

I would also say unless it is too expensive, I would opt for the removal and reseating of the ridge as I have learned the hard way that patching issues on roofs rarely solves the issue long term.

I dont know what that "board" would be - but perhaps he's referring to the fibre cement undercloak strip that "supports" a sand and cement pointing?

Thing is they seem to do things differently in Scotland - presumably because of the weather?

Ok, quote in. Roofer has suggested that due to the Aquaseal there is a risk that the mortar for the newly laid ridge may not adhere properly so feels a ventilated ridge which is attached to timbers rather than mortar would be a better idea.

The quote including removal of old ridge and mortar then fitting new ridge would be £895. That's a lotta money :(

Thank you for posting the details.

The price seems high - however, it depends on what kind of dry ridge he intends to use, and what he will find there when the old ridge tiles are lifted.
It might also reflect local weather conditions - wind & rain will provide lots of roofing and guttering repair work.
You have nothing to lose by calling in two more quotes and waiting and seeing.

Until today i had never heard of a dry ridge so have nothing to compare it to yet.

Does the Aquaseal mortar adhesion thing sound valid? Makes sense to me but what do I know :)

His other argument was that doing it the traditional way would require maintenance whereas the ridge he suggests would not.

If there is aqua seal the muck will not bond properly and so the dry ridge system does seem like a good idea.
I would say the price is above average but if is reputable then it is worth it for a good job.

Ok, quote in. Roofer has suggested that due to the Aquaseal there is a risk that the mortar for the newly laid ridge may not adhere properly so feels a ventilated ridge which is attached to timbers rather than mortar would be a better idea.

The quote including removal of old ridge and mortar then fitting new ridge would be £895. That's a lotta money :(

That's not a bad quote, IMHO.

It won't be much more expensive than removing all the ridges, clean off tiles/ridges and mortar bed them back on.

Ok. Second roofer round and has also had a good look. He agrees it could be the ridge and also suggested a vented floating ridge. However he also noted that because the tiles were Aquasealed many years ago that will be wearing off and due to the nature of the application process it will leave the tiles porous so every tile may be letting water in. He stuck his hand under a few of the boards and it came out wet each time.

He will price for both but can't say confidently which is the right route without stripping some of the roof to check. Issue would be if we paid for ridge to be done (he also recommended dry ridges) and then find it still leaks.

I am gutted about this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back