Multiple FCUs

For example, a double socket in a lounge behind a TV is unlikely to be overloaded.
APOLOGIES: OMITTED WORDS ADDED. :oops:
Ah, that's better. You have successfully unconfused me, and I now understand (I hope) what you really did mean :)

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't suggest any particular formal standard.
Unbelievable.

And stupidly irresponsible.

But you think that people can discharge their legal obligations regarding the safety of that alteration without following any formal methodology - basically just say "I'm sure that'll be OK", and it will be?

Where did I say that? I merely said that there is no obligation for Mr. Homeowner to issue a BS7671 certificate.
You hadn't said that, hence my question to you.

But now you have:

How {.....} dare you remark on that with a !

If you think for one second that I am arguing with you just for the sake of it you can {.....} .

And yet again you resort to insults and gutter language when anyone takes you to task on anything.
No - what I reacted with was perfectly justified anger at the outrageous way John behaved because when he introduced a new design and asked me to comment I expressed a new concern.

Sponsored Links
You must have a short memory, since I have said several times that, out of deference to views of some here, that is what I'll probably do.
Only "probably"?

I was wondering whether anyone could think of any way in which a pedantic Jobsworth of a PIRer (or should that be EICRer) could have a problem with it?
Do you still think that it might be compliant?

There's never been any suggestion that such a design is either unrealistic or unreasonable, the only discussion having been about how necessary it is.
1) It is neither unrealistic nor unreasonable.

2) Without it there is a breach of the Wiring Regulations.

3) It is therefore absolutely necessary.

The more general discussion (about how realistic and reasonable it is to design on the basis of the most incompetent imaginable possible actions of unknown people in the future) still stands.
Were that a requirement then ring finals would be banned, for a start.

If you change a 40A shower load for one which is too large the cable will not be damaged. No danger will arise.

If you change a 40A shower load for one which is too large and you increase the rating of the fuse or MCB supplying it, then the cable may well be damaged and danger will arise.

If you change the 9A load for one which is too high the cable could be damaged. Danger will arise.

Only if you change the 3 x 3A fuses for higher rated ones which then allow the cable to be damaged due to excess current. If you leave the fuses as they are and try to connect 3kW loads to the FCU, then a fuse will blow.

So how are the two scenarios any different in principle?
If you really don't think that changing an MCB is in principle no different from changing a fuse in an FCU then it's pointless trying to discuss this with you.

If you don't think that but are arguing for the sake of it then it's pointless trying to discuss this with you.

Do you consider a twin socket outlet on a non-fused spur to be reasonably safe, even though it's entirely possible for somebody to plug in a 26A load?
What's the Iz of the cable?

Maybe, but I was taking it more along the lines of a complaint that it was unsatisfactory or "needs improvement," rather than whether it doesn't comply with BS7671 but would be only a code 4.
According to my copy of BS 7671, code 4 includes "This does not imply that the electrical installation inspected is unsafe."

I believe it would be, so I'd give it a Code 2.

You have to remember what "unsafe" means. It does not mean that something bad is guaranteed to happen". If you ride a motorcycle without a crash helmet and leathers you will probably not smash open your head and rip your skin off, but that does not mean that it was not unsafe.

Probably a substantial majority on the first option, because there's a tendency here to recommend whatever the current version of BS7671 says rather than to actually think it through logically.
It's hard to come up with a logical reason for choosing to contravene BS 7671.

The labels - Well, personally I doubt it would be suggested at all.
I personally think that adequately labelling things (like my FCUs) should be adequate.
I was wondering whether anyone could think of any way in which a pedantic Jobsworth of a PIRer (or should that be EICRer) could have a problem with it?

What does that have to do with it? I acknowledged several pages back that the arrangement does not comply with BS7671.

Any or none in particular, so long as what he does has made reasonable provision for safety.
How would you suggest he could be sure that he had done that if he just did what he fancied ot guessed would be OK, with no observation of any recognised formal standards?

Precisely. If one is supposed to allow for Mr. Other coming along, disconnecting a fixed appliance from an FCU, connecting a much more powerful appliance to the same FCU, and upgrading the fuse in that FCU from 3A to 13A, then one should, surely, also allow for Mr. or Mrs. Publics simply plugging two 3kW heaters into a double socket, which requires considerably less effort?
And the relevance of that to
is what?

Would it be unrealistic and unreasonable to provide protection for a non-fused spur cable feeding a twin BS1363 socket outlet?

"Mr. Spark, Did you not consider the possibility that Mr. & Mrs. Public might plug both a clothes dryer and a portable fan heater into the twin socket you fitted in their utility room?"

But I would not install such a socket.

Fair enough - After catching up on all the confusion & "de-confusion" that occurred after I called it a night, I see that you recognize the concerns about the possibility of two heavy loads being connected to a double socket, and so would not install one on a non-fused spur. There was no intent to grill you about it as such, just to make the comparison between the two scenarios of a double socket on an unfused spur and multiple FCU's at the end of an unfused spur. So I can see your consistency in documenting the potential for a problem to arise if somebody changes the loads in the future against your policy of not putting a double socket on an unfused spur, even though permitted by the regs.

I think it's clear though that many who would flag up the multiple-FCU situation proposed by John would not have a problem with installing a double socket on an unfused spur, and that's where inconsistency of approach arises, since for a danger to arise in the former case requires somebody to physically hard-wire new loads into the FCU's and change the fuses, whereas for a danger to arise in the latter case requires only that somebody plugs two 3kW appliances into the socket.

But I still think that in the multiple-FCU scenario the responsibility for making sure that the existing arrangements are suitable for the new loads rests with whoever makes those changes at that future time.

The final upshot being the failure of about £10,000 worth of transformer.

Was that an 11kV-415V transformer feeding a local neighborhood, or an HV-HV unit further back along the chain?

Perhaps the answer is for the fuse holders in FCUs to be re-designed such that the rating of the fuse is determined by the holder. This would require that there was also a range of matching fuses where the mechanical size was related to the fuse's rating making it impossible to fit a 13 amp fuse into an FCU protecting a 3 amp circuit.

That won't of course prevent the determined, un-informed and thoughtless person changing the FCU at a later date.

Unbelievable.

And stupidly irresponsible.

Why? Have I at any point suggested that the person fitting the new appliance should not check that the existing circuit is suitable?

This line started from the issue of a homeowner changing the load connected to an FCU, and a comparison with changing an oven. You asked for thoughts on whether such a change needed the issue of a BS7671 certificate (and seemed to be implying that you thought it unnecessary), to which I replied that I thought it would be justified if the work was being done by somebody who was working to BS7671. Others have said the same.

You asked how the average homeowner was supposed to complete such a certificate, to which I replied that he had no need to because he has no specific requirement to be following BS7671 to the last detail.

Does every homeowner who changes a light fitting, replaces a stove etc. have sufficient knowledge to follow all the details of BS7671, or any other formal standard? No. Hence why I said there's no need to follow any formal standard specifically. That doesn't mean that the person making the replacement shouldn't make sure the circuit is suitable for the replacement item.

I think John accepted that it is not compliant with BS7671 several pages ago. The question is whether somebody inspecting the installation is going to try and flag it up as being "unsatisfactory."

1) It is neither unrealistic nor unreasonable.

2) Without it there is a breach of the Wiring Regulations.

3) It is therefore absolutely necessary.

But as you are fully aware, those wiring regulations are not mandatory.

The more general discussion (about how realistic and reasonable it is to design on the basis of the most incompetent imaginable possible actions of unknown people in the future) still stands.
Were that a requirement then ring finals would be banned, for a start.

So if ring finals have not been banned because it's not considered essential to safeguard against what Mr. Homeowner might change incompetently in the future, why do you consider there to be a need to make provision for what incompetent changes he might make to John's FCU proposal?

If you really don't think that changing an MCB is in principle no different from changing a fuse in an FCU then it's pointless trying to discuss this with you.

It's not just about changing a fuse in an FCU. It's about changing the fuse and hard-wiring a new load to that FCU. Both that and changing an MCB require alterations to the fixed installation.

Do you consider a twin socket outlet on a non-fused spur to be reasonably safe, even though it's entirely possible for somebody to plug in a 26A load?

It depends on how it's installed obviously, but the regs. you are quoting as if they are the be-all and end-all of electrical installations permit it to be less than the total load which could be connected to a double socket.

You have to remember what "unsafe" means. It does not mean that something bad is guaranteed to happen".

No, but neither does mean that everything should be considered potentially unsafe because of what incompetent changes somebody might make in the future. Somebody might add half a dozen 500W floodlights to an existing lighting circuit wired in 1.00 sq. mm conductors and then change the fuse protecting that circuit to 15A. Does that mean that a perfectly safe 5A lighting circuit should be condemned as "potentially unsafe" because of that possibility? Or we're back to the replacement shower scenario again: Should you condemn a perfectly acceptable shower circuit wired in 6 sq. mm cable because somebody might change the shower and MCB later?

How would you suggest he could be sure that he had done that if he just did what he fancied ot guessed would be OK, with no observation of any recognised formal standards?

I never suggested guessing or anything like that.

And the relevance of that to
is what?

The comparisons which have been made over the last several pages.

Would it be unrealistic and unreasonable to provide protection for a non-fused spur cable feeding a twin BS1363 socket outlet?
As above.

The point I was making is that some of those who would condemn John's FCU proposal because it doesn't comply with BS7671 would not have any such problem with a double socket on an unfused spur, even when the cable was run in such a way as to have a rating below the total load which could be connected to the sockets.

If you're going to argue that it's reasonable and realistic to put a 13A fuse upstream of the spur to the three FCU's, then it should, logically, be just as reasonable and realistic (more so in fact) to expect similar fuse protection for the spur feeding a double socket. (As in fact SecureSpark had indicated he provides for by using fused triple sockets on a spur but not doubles.)

That was, indeed, my initial question, and it has been well answered - there clearly are people who 'could have a problem'. Thank you, gentlemen.

The jury is out. The answer to that question depends entirely upon the extent to which a designer is allowed to determine/specify the 'design current' of a circuit supplying a fixed load.

Your view (and that of some others) is that the design current has to be based on what might happen if someone makes fundamental changes to the circuit (including changing to a much heavier hard-wired load) in the future. I'm far from convinced that has to be the case, and think that a designer probably is allowed more latitude/ discretion/ professional judgement than that - but I know you disagree with that.

Kind Regards, John.

No - what I reacted with was perfectly justified anger at the outrageous way John behaved because when he introduced a new design and asked me to comment I expressed a new concern.
It wasn't a 'new concern' which arose of out of any 'new design'. The single feed from the ring had been there all along, so you had had ample previous opportunities to express any concerns you may have had about the point loading of the ring. However, you didn't express any such concerns, the only concern you expressed relating to the CCC of the cable. When I suggested removing that concern for you, by increasing cable CSA (but changing nothing else) you obviously couldn't continue to use your previous argument, so raised the 'new concern' which you hadn't previously mentioned.

... and, regardless of the technical issues, your 'reaction' was quite unacceptable by any standards - and I see that the mods agreed with me about that.

Kind Regards, John.

Perhaps the answer is for the fuse holders in FCUs to be re-designed such that the rating of the fuse is determined by the holder. This would require that there was also a range of matching fuses where the mechanical size was related to the fuse's rating making it impossible to fit a 13 amp fuse into an FCU protecting a 3 amp circuit.

That won't of course prevent the determined, un-informed and thoughtless person changing the FCU at a later date.

Or jamming the fuseholder with tin foil.... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back