Multiple lights on 1 circuit - circuit diagram

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking to remove the existing pendant style light in my lounge and changing this to spotlights (x5).

I've looked but not managed to find a circuit diagram of how to connect these spotlights so that using 1 switch, they all (all 5 spotlights) switch on/off.

Any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
You need to daisy chain the connections one after the other. Either using the inbuilt connectors or small junction boxes(you can access them by pulling down through the holes for the spotlights)

I've looked but not managed to find a circuit diagram of how to connect these spotlights so that using 1 switch, they all (all 5 spotlights) switch on/off.

Stickies are at the top for a reason!!

Look at the wiring diagrams for lighting Sticky.

The first diagram is the one you need, then just imagine tapping off the light fitting for the other four light fittings.

How is the pendant wired.

One cable, or three cables.

If its three, then you have loop-in wiring.

Like most questions, the answer is already provided on the WIKI. But here's a link //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:rose

You'll need to organise the junction of all the cables to be accessible - through one of the torch holes eg.

Use one of these to join the cables http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ501.html

If these downlights have transformers then you'll need to notify the local authority before starting work :cry:

Sponsored Links
I'm looking to remove the existing pendant style light in my lounge and changing this to spotlights (x5).
You're putting in 5 lights to replace 1?

Does that not say anything to you about how good the new ones are at doing the job you want them to do, i.e. lighting up your lounge?

Does that not say anything to you about how good the new ones are at doing the job you want them to do, i.e. lighting up your lounge?

As usual I assume the op is looking at this from an aesthetics point of view rather than improving the efficiency and quality of the lighting system.

A lounge is not an ideal location for spot lights.

Stickies are at the top for a reason!!

Look at the wiring diagrams for lighting Sticky.

The first diagram is the one you need, then just imagine tapping off the light fitting for the other four light fittings.

Stickies? Sorry I'm new to this forum, not sure what you mean by that?

I went to this page....

//www.diynot.com/pages/el/

But couldn't find a diagram for my type of circuit. If you could post a link, that'd be most helpful.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Ban Al Sheds - why are you so arrogant and condesending? I remember you from my last post and have to say that you are very rude at times.

The reason for installing 5 lights is not because they are bad at lighting up a room, but because I personally think that 1 spotlight in the middle of a room would look pretty cr4p ! And so using 5 of them would make the room look better !

Hanspuch.

I already gave you the link to the wiring.

The only addition is the drawing is how its connected to one light, but you will have five.

Read my post. There are some questions that you haven't answered so it's hard to help you more.

How is the pendant wired.

One cable, or three cables.

If its three, then you have loop-in wiring.

Like most questions, the answer is already provided on the WIKI. But here's a link //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:rose

You'll need to organise the junction of all the cables to be accessible - through one of the torch holes eg.

Use one of these to join the cables http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ501.html

If these downlights have transformers then you'll need to notify the local authority before starting work :cry:

The pendant has 3 wires connected to it - basically, a ceiling rose with 3 wires coming into it - as you said, loop in wiring.

Using the following link:

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:rose

would you then connect all 5 light's cables to this 1 junction box? Just wondering if there will be enough space in it?

Did you not see this at the top of the forum:

t2565752.jpg

The reason for installing 5 lights is not because they are bad at lighting up a room, but because I personally think that 1 spotlight in the middle of a room would look pretty cr4p ! And so using 5 of them would make the room look better !
But won't it be hideously, painfully bright with 5 times as much light as you need?

would you then connect all 5 light's cables to this 1 junction box? Just wondering if there will be enough space in it?

Well, one could, but usually you put the junction at the location of one of the torchlights (because you need to be able to access the junction later).
The cable then goes to the first torchlight, then to the next, etc etc.

It all depends on how your joists etc are laid out and what access you have.

Bear in mind that you must continue the cpc right through from start to finish. This is a requirement, also you'll need it or you will not be able to test the EFLI and put the result on the installation certificate that the local authority will want to see.

Well, one could, but usually you put the junction at the location of one of the torchlights (because you need to be able to access the junction later).
The cable then goes to the first torchlight, then to the next, etc etc.

It all depends on how your joists etc are laid out and what access you have.

Bear in mind that you must continue the cpc right through from start to finish. This is a requirement, also you'll need it or you will not be able to test the EFLI and put the result on the installation certificate that the local authority will want to see.

Excellent! - thanks for that.

Did you not see this at the top of the forum:

t2565752.jpg

But won't it be hideously, painfully bright with 5 times as much light as you need?

No - I didn't see that at the top of the post, as I said, I'M NEW TO THIS FORUM, NOT SURE WHERE THINGS ARE LISTED - not sure if you understand that?

If it's painful, it'll be painful for me, what's it to you? If you like the idea of 1 spotlight in the middle of the room then you do that, DON'T tell me what does and doesn't look good in your opinion, because in all honesty, no one else cares what you think, especially me!

If you don’t want to help, go do something else, don’t reply with arrogant and condescending answers!

No - I didn't see that at the top of the post, as I said, I'M NEW TO THIS FORUM, NOT SURE WHERE THINGS ARE LISTED - not sure if you understand that?
I understand that you are new.

What I don't understand is why being new means you can't read.

If it's painful, it'll be painful for me, what's it to you?
Just trying to be helpful - you've said that you're going to have lighting 5 times as bright as you need for the room because you don't want it lit by just 1 light, and I wondered if you had thought how that might feel.

If you like the idea of 1 spotlight in the middle of the room then you do that, DON'T tell me what does and doesn't look good in your opinion, because in all honesty, no one else cares what you think, especially me!
Where have I said anything about what does or does not look good?

And if you don't want people to comment on what you are doing don't come here and tell us about it - you do not have the right to circumscribe our replies.

If you don’t want to help, go do something else, don’t reply with arrogant and condescending answers!
I helped you by pointing out the link to the Wiki, and I may have helped you by alerting you to the downside of lighting being 5 times as bright as is needed.

Arrogant and condescending?

If you are going to get bent out of shape because you don't get what you think is the right level of deference and replies which you think have the right scope then I suggest you go away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back