Multiple Live Out's on a Light Fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All the lights in my house are looped at the ceiling: apart from the first and last light, there is a live in and live out at each light fitting.
In one of my bedrooms, I have two lights on the ceiling which operate from a single switch i.e. on or off at the same time. The central light has a live in, live out, switch and another cable that supplies Switched Live to the secondary light.

I now want the secondary light to have its own switch and operate independent of the primary light. As it happens, this is situated close to the switch. My plan was to convert the SL cable from the primary light into a Live Out to feed the secondary light and then take a new cable from this light to the switch where I can add an additional switch. Additionally, I will have this new light working in tandem with 3 more lights (downlights). Hence there will be a daisy chain between this and the 3 new downlights.

I think this works but would like your validation. Also, is there any bad practice in having more than a single live in and live out at each lighting point?

I am still well within the 6amp for this lighting circuit.

Sponsored Links
You need to extend the circuit by taking a permanent live ,neutral and earth to the secondary light position,where you then connect/install the switch cable. If you wish to then have more light fittings installed that will come on /off together with the secondary light you would wire them in parallel.

Sponsored Links
You need to extend the circuit by taking a permanent live ,neutral and earth to the secondary light position,where you then connect/install the switch cable. If you wish to then have more light fittings installed that will come on /off together with the secondary light you would wire them in parallel.
Understood. Are there any issues with having more than two permanent lives at any lighting point?
As I said, currently all points have a live in and live out. The above extension will mean that there are 3 lives.

Understood. Are there any issues with having more than two permanent lives at any lighting point?
As I said, currently all points have a live in and live out. The above extension will mean that there are 3 lives.
It’s a radial circuit. There are no restrictions on number of lives, or any other wire at a junction. Providing the junction is suitable for the number of conductors being connected.

In the main with domestic we consider no more than three wires in a connector, industrial often only one, but with three wires there is very little risk of one wire not being clamped well enough, once one goes over three, one wire may not be clamped and heat can result.

In the main with domestic we consider no more than three wires in a connector, industrial often only one, but with three wires there is very little risk of one wire not being clamped well enough, once one goes over three, one wire may not be clamped and heat can result.
That depends on the type of connector.

In an old Victorian mill I used to work in, I found an old square junction box attached to conduit and there were so many conductors in the 15A choc block that no more would fit!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back