multiple showers for oil fed combi boiler systems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to install 3 showers into my house that give good pressure and are unaffected by other taps and appliances being used within the house. I've never liked electric showers, and previous mixers seem to be grately affected by flushing of toilets, taps etc. I realise that i need to have good pressure but what would it have to be? and how is it best to achieve this? As it stands at the moment I have an oil fed combi boiler system any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
3 showers off a combi? Not a chance. You'll need a hot water cylinder of some description installing, maybe in conjunction with a pump if you can't get the required flow rate and pressure off the mains for an unvented one. Would be advisable to get these tested properly before making a decision.

I had a feeling that would be the case. Would I need 22mm pipework? and do you know if there is a horizontal version of the unvented cylinders? I only ask as this would be more easily accomodated within my build as supposed to a vertical standing tank. I'm thinking of running all of the taps from the combi, would this be a good idea? and last but not least I would assume I would only require one tank, is this correct? any further advice would be very well recieved!! thanks.

Hi
Sorry for the slow reply. You will need 22mm pipework, yes. Horizontal cylinders are few and far between and generally don't perform as well, if there's any possibility of accommodating a proper one then you really should do so. You could run all your taps from the combi but if you're getting a cylinder then a better idea would be to split the pipework between the two to minimise the amount of time it takes to deliver hot water to any outlet. If you went the unvented route you'd only need one cylinder, if that wasn't possible and you had to go pumped then you'd also need a cold water storage tank in your loft

Sponsored Links
if you are trying to run 3 showers at once off a 22mm supply you will have trouble. To get over this you would ideally need an unvented cylinder and an accumulator.

If your current oil combi happens to be a high power version capable of 25lt/min then you are more likely to be able to install an accumulator to reduce the effect of flushing toilets etc

From what you have described you have a problem with your incoming pipe sizes along with a combi. To get the best will require a fair amount of alterations

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back