Multiple sockets in the garage should be a ring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my garage there was originally one double socket on an RCD. The previous owner of the house has T'd in to this to add a single socket elsewhere in the garage. The T was done in a very haphazard way which I need to soft out anyway, however, a friend recently pointed out to me that it really should be a ring in the garage if there is more than one socket. In the longer term I'm planning to build a work area in one corner, so will be adding more sockets.

Should I be looking to re-wire the garage as a ring? If so, will the existing RCD continue to be okay, or do I need to replace that on the CU as well?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Doesn't need to be a ring. Nothing wrong with a radial, assuming that's what you have. Is the original socket on a ring?

You either have a spur off a ring or a radial. Both are perfectly acceptable, if they're done correctly

No. Original's not a ring. Just one wire from the RCD on the CU to the double socket. The previous owner has broken in using a 3 terminal junction box about half way between the CU and the double socket.

Sponsored Links
upload_2016-8-12_19-22-36.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back