Multipoint lock problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a new composite front door about a year ago. I only engage the multipoint locks before going to bed. Last night they did not work, I could lock the lock with the key only. Has something broken inside or is it stuck? I have tried it again this morning but still not engaging.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried it with the door open? You could try oiling it. Was it ever a struggle to lock it? My front door used to grind on locking, which was the multipoints catching the metal.

Thanks but I am a right muppet. Because we did not go out yesterday due to it raining all day the locks were still engaged from the night before. I unlocked the door with the key as I do every morning first thing but as I said the door was not opened, so when I turned the handle up to lock it last night I thought the locks had not engaged. I tried to lock it again this morning but obviously without the door being opened, till later, I still thought there was a problem. It was only when we went for a walk for our daily exercise that I realised what had happened. Lesson learnt. Thanks Chris anyway with suggestion.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Glad it was a nice simple fix but you should really get in the habit of pulling the handle up every time you use the door. Firstly the door is not ' airtight ' until compression is made , which can not happen until all locking points are engaged and secondly , if you ever have an issue with the door ( potential warping ) , then the manufacturer will say it is because you have not been suing the locking mechanism correctly. The reason I say this is that without the locking points engaged , the door will only be being held in the centre , where the slam catch is , so in certain conditons and on certain types/colours of doors it has been known for the top and the bottom of the door sash to move and creat a bow in the door , hence if you engage the lock every time you use it the door sash is held in various points . This is the same for Composite Doors AND Upvc doors...many installers do not tell customers this ( we always make a point of it ! )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back