Multitool recommendation needed please

Sorry, but I'm trade and TBH life is just too short (I also stopped sharpening my own hand saws more than 30 years back when I finally went hardpoint). And that's a lot of effort for a £2 or £3 blade, unless you're from Yorkshire! Couldn't see any reference to tooth set in the video, either. If you hit anything hard in a cut your blade will probably get the tooth geometry drastically altered so when you resharpen you may need to reset the teeth. Just how do you manage that with teeth so small?

Where the blades are induction hardened you are on a hiding to nothing in any case (files just skate on them), and good luck getting a suitable file for the Japanese tooth blades I favour for precision cuts.

As to cutting skirting, I tend to use bimetallic blades for anything that might have metal in it, you know like the nails, pins, etc that are used to fix skirtings and mouldings in place, because they tend to wreck carbon steel blades (I.e rip or abrade the teeth off leaving you with a useless piece of tin that has a fancy connector at one end but which can be reg round as a very useful scraper blade)

I'd tend to agree although if you end up needing a new blade at 16:10 on a Sunday it's worth knowing - my old blades end up either as scrapers or I take a grinder to them to give them coarse teeth for cutting plasterboard etc.

Sponsored Links
More relevent would be the type of blade to use if you don't want to the cutting skirtings for the next 6 months.

www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+power-tools-multi-tools-multi-tools-blades-multi-tool-wood-blades-japanese-style-dakota+m_dk4009

Good prices, thanks for the link.

BTW OP, those blades are much faster for cutting wood but unlike the multi use blades, you increase the risk of cutting through the cables that run up to the wall sockets and are often hidden behind the skirting.

I think you may have underestimated how long it will take to rip cut the skirting with a multi-tool and as others have said you will need to remove the two skirtings at the far end of the room anyway (assuming a square room) so that you can pull the lasts boards in.

I saw another YouTube video where the guy used a thin slit blade in the grinder to do a rough and ready re-sharpen. I'd happily give it 5 minutes when some knot in an old joist is eating your blades for fun.

Just on the subject of multitools, in case it helps anyone, I recently had a problem with mine - initially hard to say what happened - 4 new erbauer blades disintegrated (at the fixing end) in about 20 minutes and 5 of the lugs on the toolholder broke off. I hadn't used erbauer before and blamed them for breaking up and damaging the tool holder. Just about finished the job and decided to splash out on a nice new Makita. Sold the old (Bosch) one on eBay for spares/repair as needing a new toolholder. Buyer contacted me and said the machine "worked" but didn't do much in the way of oscillating - I now reckon the gearbox had failed which was causing excessive vibration and causing failure to toolholder and blades. Needless to say I refunded the buyer but probably good for people to know that failure of the blades at the fixing end could well be due to the tool itself, and probably hard to identify, as these things are all about vibration!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back