Musings on the futility of Life, the Universe, and the term "Low Voltage"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my son bought string lights for outside ,on the box it says indoor & outdoor use ,
but i'm a bit worried how they can be safe if not low voltage can these be left outside for good
thanks in advance

Do you know what low voltage is?

The International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) defines supply system low voltage as voltage in the range 50–1000 V AC or 120–1500 V DC.

Do you want to rephrase your question because, as you can see, 240 volt mains is low voltage?

Sponsored Links

The International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) defines supply system low voltage as voltage in the range 50–1000 V AC or 120–1500 V DC.

Do you want to rephrase your question because, as you can see, 240 volt mains is low voltage?

Another idiot for my ignore list... clearly there not talking about 50-1000v as per your google search reply. Low voltage for most in a home status would be 12v and 240v is mains. Please find something better to do with your time than be that annoying jeez... anyway I am now ignoring you so I will never have to listen to your crap again. :D

If you refer to someone as an idiot when they give factually correct information you will never learn and remain ignorant for life. Low voltage is NOT 12 volts, it is a range of voltages which does not include 12 volts.

I am PMing this message to lamchamps incase he has "ignored me".

clearly there not talking about 50-1000v as per your google search reply. Low voltage for most in a home status would be 12v and 240v is mains.
Either way, 240V IS low voltage - so it is not clear what you mean.

Just say 12V then everyone is certain - as LV could be any voltage either up to 50 or up to 1000.

Sponsored Links
If you read the topic, he actually doesn't know what he has got, and he is going to check and report back.
His lamps may be 12V, they may be 240V or even 230VOLTS.
Personally, I am happy for this topic not to go another count until we get that information.
But please enjoy trying to look clever in the meantime. It really doesn't add any value; and the tennis is much more interesting.

It's not trying to look clever.

The alternative is people being wrong for ever - and the situation getting worse because of copying.

Winston, please stop providing misinformation about IEC definitions. Rather than linking to Wikipedia, go to the IEC's Electropedia instead, where you can find the correct definitions. http://www.electropedia.org/
FWIW, BS7671 does define 'low voltage' as a range 50 - 1000 V AC, but the IEC definitions have only an upper limit. The IEC has not defined "supply system low voltage" at all.

You don't.

No it doesn't.

And you have been told that before.

So here you are, again, making statements which you know are false.

What is the term for someone who says things which he knows are untrue, and what is it you keep being asked to stop doing?

Yes, so I think we must come to the conclusion that - by definition - LV includes ELV but nevertheless ≤50V is ELV.

It is - apologies for any vagueness.

Yes, so I think we must come to the conclusion that - by definition - LV includes ELV but nevertheless ≤50V is ELV.
It is also Low Voltage.

Winston - please note: LV starts at 0, not 50.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back