My boiler fires up every minute, whilst working in full!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

Started 3 days ago. When the boiler is working (no matter if it's on HW or CH or both) after the first ignition, it keeps firing up every now and then say in less than a minute although the hole boiler is already working.

I hoped I could pass this winter without major problem with the boiler :( :arrow: :cry:

Please help

Kav

Sponsored Links
Its difficult for me to gather what you are trying to describe.

Knowing what boiler model you have would be helpful too!

Tony

Boiler is 'Mason Apollo' and I have got a closed system central heating.
Well..., when I switch on the boiler it fires up and works just fine. After a while say 5min, you can hear that the ignition works again as if the boiler is gonna start working) and it seems that it fires up again although it has already been working (basically you can see from the little window hole that it is working in full and virtually you can see the fire :eek: ). However it keeps doing this every two three minutes.
What I've realised is that it does this more regularly when the central heating is on.
I hope this is clear enough, but if not let me know.

I have never heard of a "mason apollo" which was not a vinegar dispenser.

I am also a little puzzled by the "virtual fire".

Lets see if anyone else knows this unusual boiler or knows about "virtual fire".

Tony

Sponsored Links
Being a bit pedantic tonight Tony?

I would say it is a Myson Apollo and the fire is the burner alight.

Without more info or being in front of it to test further it sounds fairly normal for a boiler that is up to temp :confused:

Boiler is 'Mason Apollo' and I have got a closed system central heating.

(basically you can see from the little window hole that it is working in full and virtually you can see the fire :eek: ).

I hope this is clear enough, but if not let me know.

Right, so it is probably a Myson Apollo!

But its that highlighted part above which I cannot understand or guess at!

Sorry for the confusion... yes it is Myson :LOL:

.... Well... I have just found out what is really going on there!!! (doesn't sound good though).

For some reasons gas cuts off and the boiler needs to fire up again so the ignition works and if the gas is supplied, it fires up and if not it ignites again and again till it fires up...

So I guess I have gas nossle problem right?

More likely a gas valve fault.

You need to get an RGI out to check/replace it.

do all the rads get hot?

it could just be that the pump has stopped working or the flow is very poor. This would cause the boiler to repeatedly fire up and shut down

Yes! I checked all the radiators and also checked if they've got air trapped in but they were ok.
As for pumps, they seem to be working fine, as I can hear them working all the time (specially I checked when the repeated firing up is happening they work as normal).

Not sure how to check the flow though!?!

Its often not appreciated that an indication of the water flow rate is given by the temperature differential across the boiler.

So I would ask what are the flow and return temperatures across the boiler?

I would also monitor the status of the boiler thermostat to see if its turning it off. That would be corroborated by the temperature of the flow.

Tony

Tony,

Your technical language is far beyond my understanding....

Can you tell me how I would be able to measure "the flow and return temperatures across the boiler"?

l'd also monitor the status of the boiler thermostat to see if its turning it off

Is the "boiler thermostat" the same as the room's thermostat (the one that we use to adjust the temperature in the room) or is it another one which is built in inside the boiler?
If it is the room's one, I should say it's fine as it can be heard when it sends signal to boiler to start or stop!

Kav

Tony,

Your technical language is far beyond my understanding....

Can you tell me how I would be able to measure "the flow and return temperatures across the boiler"?

Is the "boiler thermostat" the same as the room's thermostat (the one that we use to adjust the temperature in the room) or is it another one which is built in inside the boiler?

Kav

You would need a contact thermometer to measure flow and return temperatures.

The "boiler thermostat" is the components and circuitry within the boiler which turns off the gas when the flow temperature reaches the set value.

To repair boilers a certain level of technical understanding is required together with appropriate test equipment.

Tony

I have just had my Glow Worm Ultimate Boiler serviced and the fan changed. The water is hot and the radiators are working fine. My concern is that despite not having used any hot water for bathing or washing, the boiler keeps starting up every 2-3 minutes. The temperature has been set at 65degrees.
I thought that once the water reached the 65 degree temperature, then the boiler would would only click on if the the hot water was used or the temperature in the hot water chamber cooled a bit for e.g., during the night or other times when the boiler is not timed to be on.
Apart fropm the constant working of the boiler which must be expensive for my gas bills, I am worried that the boiler might overheat and there could be some serious damage.
Any thoughts on a possible solution that I could pass on to my Engineer to consider.
Regards

If you have a competent engineer, then I am sure that he is well able to diagnose what the problem is himself. Indeed he might become upset if he thought that you doubted his capabilities and were asking on here.

If you did have any queries then you should start your own "New Topic" on here and ideally put the boiler model in the subject line. It can also help to put your location town in your profile and ideally your email adddress too in case anyone wanted to contact you outside the forum postings.

This discussion thread is reserved for the Myson Apollo.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back