My boiler keeps making a firing up noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a standard hot water tank system which every now and again keeps making a mis-firing sound, to try to make an example of the sound - it sounds like 6 or 7 attempts to light a ring on a gas hub, like its trying to kick in then eventually it does, but I dont know why, the water is on timer, and the heating is off, happens about 3 times a day.

Does anyone have any idea ?

Sponsored Links
Ive put some photos in my album, if you can see them....

There is a Central Heating switch next to the boiler and another switch over by the cooker, these have both been on since Feb when we moved in.

Sponsored Links
Most common cause is pilot injector partially blocked, ignitor dirty or ignition lead breaking down. We have had the PCB cause the same problem, but they are pretty reliable. You don't say when you last had the boiler serviced, servicing should take care of this problem, just make sure whoever does removes injector and cleans or replaces same.

Does the boiler actually fire - is there a flame, at any time, in the little window, if so is it just the pilot ordoes it cover the whole burner?
I would be suspecting the pump, if the boiler comes on for a few minutes when cold (first thing in the morning for example), then periodically for a few moments at a time.
If the boiler doesnt light at all you are more than likely going to need a RGI as most jobs on these boilers require case removal.

The pilot light is on all the time, it seems to make the clicking noise even when the pilot flame is visible.

The heating is off but the hot water is on timer (6am)(4pm), there is a button which says "Central Heating" underneath the unit case on the wall, this is always on.

We also cant have a shower after each other in a morning, I get in second and have an ice cold shower, good for you though !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back