my boiler's broke!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
today my (Ravensheat CSI85) boiler won't put the central heating nor the hot water on. there's a light on next to the pilot light symbol.
It was working fine until this afternoon, and now I can't here the ignition sound as I put the hot water tap or the heating on.
The front of the boiler has to come off before I can see any pilot light.
Do you think it is the pilot? or something more serious?
my gas man doesn't work past 5pm and I think this might possibly be the coldest day this year! is there anything I can do?
any suggestions are gratefully received.
thank you
Sally

Sponsored Links
I just tried turning it off for a while. When I turn the water on it sounds like it is starting but the water remains cold. After a few minutes the "Flame Problem" light comes on.

Guess I will be having a cold evening.

I've heard minus six in some areas. Put on two pairs of socks.

Sponsored Links
Miss Sally said:
my gas man doesn't work past 5pm .......................
any suggestions are gratefully received.
thank you
Sally

Get a new gas man.

Thought about calling out another boiler repair place, but the last time I called him out I thought the boiler had gone for good and even told him this. He could of easily coned me into a new boiler but just turned it on again and it was fine (I had lost all pressure and boiled it dry) so I trust this guy to not rip me off.

Said he should be round tommorrow so we shall see.

Been told its a problem witth the fan.

Either a fuse has blown or the circuit board needs replacing.

Thing is the boiler repair people, told me that Ravenheat are rubbisha nd difficult to fix. then they blow the spare fuse and didn't have another. So they left without charging me and now I am in a worse postion.

Thinking I will just call Ravenheat out as they at least will carry spares. If they can't fix it then I guess its new boiler time.

What kind of... :rolleyes:

I carry about 300 fuses in a couple of dozen sizes, and did my last job at 7:38 this evening.

Well Chris.

I wish you worked in Leeds, then I may not be in this situation.

Hopefully tommorrow will be a better day. I borrowed plug in heater from a friend and will at least stay warm.

Thinking that calling the manufactures team is the way forward as at least thery call out fee will incluyde the first hour of labour and parts should be in the van so it will end up being fixed.

Thanks

ChrisR said:
What kind of... :rolleyes:

I carry about 300 fuses in a couple of dozen sizes, and did my last job at 7:38 this evening.

whats this

half day was it chris, I have just trolled in and guess what my tea is in the dog AGAIN

Gawd I hate being a plumber

:)

Thinking that calling the manufactures team is the way forward as at least thery call out fee will incluyde the first hour of labour and parts should be in the van so it will end up being fixed.

Youv'e taught me something new as I didn't realise they had a 'team'. Last dealings I had 'the team' consisted of one (below poverty line paid) chap covering the UK. However that was a long while ago.

Their team will only deal with boilers that are still under guarantee. If you ring them on 0113 252 7007 they will give you details of a local approved installer.
The attitude of most heating engineers is that if DIYers want to fit them then they can fix them as well, so you will not get a positive response from anyone that isn't familiar with them.

First of all check that your pressure is at 1.5 bar

Usually its the APS thats the cause of this problem.

I wont make any promises here but in your desperate situation try this.
Turn the boiler off then turn it on again after 20 seconds.
When the fan starts to run give the boiler a whack at the top right hand side. This MAY free off a sticking APS

After this you will need professional help but heres a few possibilities

If you cant hear the fan run then the fan could be the problem or perhaps the water pressure switch for starters.

BTW these boilers dont have a pilot

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back