My builder has cut part of the base of my new WC and bidet

I've done it before on my house.

Yes I'd bring it up with him but I wouldn't be concerned

I'd be more concerned about buying from Victoria Plumb. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Maybe... it wasn't cut by the builder at all, maybe that's how it arrived.
Or, maybe the OP's clumsy builder intercepted this pan and cut the back out of it too?

Are you said builder?
Seems you have an angle on this.
Btw... See my posts above.
I also think it's no biggie at all!

;)

Are you said builder?
Seems you have an angle on this.
Btw... See my posts above.
I also think it's no biggie at all!

;)
No mate, not a builder.
Took the pan in the photo I posted out the box this morning and noticed the lugs. Reminded me of the OP's photo from this thread.

Sponsored Links
Guess it's back to the OP ( @Poiup ) to find out if he is 100% sure that the installer did actually cut out the section or not.

No mate, not a builder.
Took the pan in the photo I posted out the box this morning and noticed the lugs. Reminded me of the OP's photo from this thread.
Makes sense - the wet clay (porcelain) needs more support until it's fired - then the "bar " is removed because it could be in the way when installed.

you are worrying about nothin and as for some people saying waste could have gone elsewhere they havent got a clue what is under the floor and why the waste possibly had to go there

The other side of that would be there was no mention of the installer saying to the client, we've had a look to move those pipes because of the bidet/toilet and they can't go in the wall because of A-B-C, so we need to cut the back out of your bidet .... so looks like it wasn't even considered.

It looks like the installer didn't check the units before it was too late and the tiling's done. I can't believe that any experienced installer would choose to cut a casting rather than move pipework. It could be argued that usually there wouldn't be bars like that in a typical casting, so the installer wouldn't have expected to find it and only saw it when it came out of the box when going to fit.
They pulled*up the floorboard and re-did the plumbing work themselves so... yeah, they had plenty of time to plan and figure stuff out.
Who supplied the WC and bidet?

Would you have been happy if both pans where sitting off the wall with boxing behind?
I supplied it but it was there already when the works started so they could have inspected it and plan accordingly

Guess it's back to the OP ( @Poiup ) to find out if he is 100% sure that the installer did actually cut out the section or not.
yes I am 100% sure, he admitted it.
The WC was also cut but it came like that. Victorian Plumbing has replied saying that the WC comes like that from the manufacturer while the bidet's warranty is voided.

They pulled*up the floorboard and re-did the plumbing work themselves so... yeah, they had plenty of time to plan and figure stuff out.
because they had floor boards up doesnt mean that it could go elsewhere you cannot cut 2 inch notches into joists they are limited to how the actual joist run etc

because they had floor boards up doesnt mean that it could go elsewhere you cannot cut 2 inch notches into joists they are limited to how the actual joist run etc

This was the point I was going to make.

This is mine I cut 10 or so years ago. Its never been a problem and it won't ever be a problem.
20220911_141928.jpg

I supplied it but it was there already when the works started so they could have inspected it and plan accordingly

If this fella has done shoddy work then I will not defend him. These push fit plumbers make my life poorer and more difficult so I won't defend them.

But you need to be fair and understand that this may have been his only way.

Last edited:
Of course not and if there were joist or other items in the way then fair enough. I think the OP's point is though, it seems the installer could have found out whether moving the pipes was an option or not during the 1st fix and therefore he could easily have said to the client ... "by the way, I'll need to cut that section out of the bidet because I can't move the pipework into the wall because there's stuff in the way that can't be altered and unfortunately that will invalidate the warranty on the bidet ... are you ok with that?"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back