My first re-wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a little history first - Ok i've been re-training for quite sometime now and have Regs plus 2391 and come from a Telecoms background. I know about Part P and have decided for the time being to notify the Local borough council as up to now i've done non notifyable work and like for like changes

For sometime a friend of my sister in law has asked about doing a rewire for them and I went to take a look the other month and this week I've actually started the work. The house has existing sockets plus addition DIY sockets and spotlights. I've taken a few shots for my own reference and maybe use to do before and after shots for a website. I went up into the loft to start preparing the fresh circuits. I lifted a few boards and some loft insulation. The boards were not joined over the ceiling joists so it was a very apparent the mans DIY skills were a little on the poor side.

Can't wait to do the ring finals, luckily for me all the additions are clipped direct to the top of the skirting boards :(

Enjoy.

6318276301_2a73e3c17d.jpg

I then lifted a little more loft insulation....
6318274445_be0d4cdc38.jpg

and a little more.....

6318269125_177f685fa4.jpg

on closer examination I discovered there were three cables disappearing downstairs towards a light switch........

6318791108_9b0456848b.jpg

I unscrewed the switch and discovered there was only a one cable Red/Black and an unsleeved earth. I couldn't pull through a new cable and the ladies dad who has been helping me to save time tried "digging" the cable out while i finished some other work. To no avail we couldn't pull up the cable so I tugged it all up out of the ceiling and found this in a stud wall.................

6318279467_82ea090d7a.jpg

I decided to take off all the insulation tape a mixture of white and earth taping and found this lovely number....................

6318277813_55c36c3f4e.jpg

The cable with the earth inserted into the live is feeding a fan.

Sponsored Links
:eek: What's ridiculous is not only that they have used the CPC as a live conductor, they have sleeved it as a CPC.... :rolleyes:

Its coming from a 3 core round cable by looks so is not "sleeved".

Still wrong lol

Sponsored Links
It appears both the brown and green/yellow of the flex share the same terminal.

I thought I'd do a Google image search for "numpty at work".

Didn't find anything relevant, but I did find this, which is nicer than the photos above.

knickernumpty.jpg

The next poster will get the thread back on topic.

The moral of the story is "turn off the big red switch before putting your hands under loft insulation".

On the bright side you won't need to buy chock block for a while!!

The light itself looks like a fire hazard as well, under all that insulation!

What makes this job worse is that I get the impression which ever numpty installed it, probably didn't think it was a bodge!

The light itself looks like a fire hazard as well, under all that insulation!

What makes this job worse is that I get the impression which ever numpty installed it, probably didn't think it was a bodge!
What makes it worse, is the previous occupant was quite happy to sell house in this condition and is more than likely continuing to carry out
work like this in their new place of residence!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back